Moving a Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, i have a radiator (first on my system) with the 'fast drain' valve on it. it sits in front of a window in the room that will becvome my kitchen and the window is going to be taken out and replaced with french doors. To save money i told the builder i would move the radiator ready for him to do his job on the window.

I figured this will be my method and i am hoping someone can step in and let me know if i have got it right or if i am missing somthing/doing something wrong!

1. turn of water at entry to house (under kitchen sink) - i presume this feeds the heating system - or is it just taps?
2. attach a hose to the drain valve and open it with a spanner (turning anti-clockwise)
3. allow system to drain and remove radiator
4. go underneath the floor (there is a crawl space) and modify piping with push fit plastic stuff
5. drill holes in floorboards at the new location
6. re-use the copper legs to show above floor level
7. re attach the radiator
8. refill the system

i have heard about adding an additive to the system - where/how does this get added (and indeed what is it!!!)

i hope i haven't bitten off more than i can chew and any help would be appreciated.

thanks again

Eddy

Sponsored Links
What type of system do you have? what boiler?

If it's a sealed system then -

1. Turn off both valves on every rad except the one you are moving - TRV's without a 0 on them may need decorators caps.
  2. Drain down the pipework and rad
  3. follow your steps from number 4
Before you fill the system, fill the rad you moved with a 1L of inhibitor, then open every rad, fill the system and bleed and then run till they're all hot and for 15mins after that to disperse the inhibitor.

If it's not a sealed system then it's a bit more complicated.

Thanks Madrab.

How do I know if it a sealed system? I presume it is... I have a combi boiler.

If I choose not to put a radiator back on straight away cap I just cap the 2 pipes underneath the floor?

Do I add the inhibitor into the pipes prior to capping them?

Thanks again for forth coming advice...

Eddy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back