Moving a room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know why my Honeywell room thermostat still seems to switch the boiler on and off even when the main switch on the fuse box is off, meaning there should be no electrical power to the thermostat? As far as I know there is no battery backup. Not sure of the model but see if you recognise one of the photos here //www.diynot.com/network/Giotto/albums/

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know why my Honeywell room thermostat still seems to switch the boiler on and off even when the main switch on the fuse box is off.
If the main switch on the fuse box is off, nothing electrical in the house should work at all. :eek:

Is that really what you are referring to? or are you referring to a local Fused Connection Unit (FCU).

Your photos only show the room thermostat, but without tracing the wires and seeing where they go and what they are connected to it's impossible to diagnose properly.

Hi Stem, thank you for the reply. It's definitely the main fuse box so not sure how the thermostat is wired up. It goes into the boiler cupboard where there is a mass of wiring for various things. Got a quote from a local electrician for £21.00 to move it so will leave it to him and ask him what the issue was once he's done it.

If you really turn off the main isolator switch on your consumer unit and things are still getting power, you have a serious wiring problem (unless you have another one somewhere)

It suggests that you have cables connected directly to the incomming main supply without any overload protection, or isolation. This is a very dangerous installation and could easily result in a fire if an overload occured.

As an afterthought, by "main switch" you do actually mean the main switch and not a MCB (miniture circuit breaker)

Sponsored Links
No, it really is the main switch on the fuse box. I have an old fuse box, no MCBs. My electrician is doing a safety check of all my circuits plus fitting a new fuse box with MCBs for me. Turns out my shower requires 10kW max power and is wired using wire that is too small so it blows the fuse if you turn the pump too high! All wiring done before I bought the place.

If it is really the main switch that is off and u still have power i suggest wiring half the house to the roomstat so u get free electricity!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back