Room Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I have wired up a room thermostat incorrectly (and this is quite possible!), would this have an adverse affect on the programmer/timer? Both items are Honeywell and, unfortunately, due to their ages I do not know the model numbers. By adverse affect, what I mean is, could an incorrectly wire room thermostat stop the programmer/timer from switching on/off the central heating at the set times? The room thermostat when turned down, does turn off the boiler, and likewise, when turned up, does turn on the boiler. Is the wiring from the programmer/timer some how connected to the room thermostat?

Sponsored Links
Usually the wiring comes from the timer to the room stat then back to the boiler....however there operation is entirely depedant on the boiler model and system type eg combi, s or y plan system.

If ya roomstat is old then its probaley mechanical so will work on 2 core may have a N but not essential. If it will wire for temp rise or temp fall then it can be wired wrong. what it opertaes depends on the system u have, whats the fault?

The problem I have is that the boiler does not appear to recognise the programmer/timer, i.e. it does not turn on/off the central heating at the set times. Did have a conventional boiler but now have a condensing boiler. Strangely, it does appear to turn on/off the hot water?

Sponsored Links
is ya boiler a combi or do u have a cylinder . they might of got ya cylinder stat & roomstat wires mixed up if u have a cylinder, That would give u heating untill the cylinder got hot but not heat the hotwater when the house was up to temp,

Perhaps I should be a little more honest/open here? When I fitted the room thermostat a good few years back, it kept blowing the fuse (?). To get around this I set both the Heating and Hot Water to constant on the programmer/timer and just turned up/down the room thermostat to turn on/off the central heating. Not ideal I know, but I was happy with this set-up. Last weekend I had a new boiler installed (condensing). The fuse no longer blows and the timer goes through it cycle, i.e. the red light on the timer comes on at the set time and goes off again at the set time (to indicate heat or hot water on/off) but the boiler does not do likewise - although, like I have said above, I do believe it is turning the hot water on/off (but not 100% certain).

It is not a Combi boiler, and I had a new 3 way valve fitted last weekend and, therefore it should not be sticking. I do have a cylinder.

I think whoever fitted ya new boiler should of had the wiring sorted out, depending on what boiler it is the old wiring may not be correct. If u have zone valves the micro switchs on some boilers have to be the roomstat link.

This may, or may not have a bearing on the problem? It appears to me that when the hot water is on, either constant or timed, the radiators seem hotter? This could just be my imagination!

Hi Bab. I payed to have the boiler installed and it is certified. The arrangement was for the fitting of a new boiler, pump, 3-way valve and 4 x TRVs - no mention was made of external controls as these were already in place.

all i can say is get them back. if they installed it they have a duty of care to see that it operates properly & havent taken enough time checking it out after completion. We all get caught out now & again but should take the rough with the smooth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back