Programmable thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i RSF combi boiler with a manual timer and a Danfoss room thermostat that is connected through 2 wires (I presume a live and neutral). My question is, can I simply replace the room thermostat with a 7 day programmable thermostat such as the Honeywell CM907 ? Would any additional wiring be necessary ? I presume if this is feasible then I would then just leave the manual timer on constant and just control it from the new timer.
Any help on this would be most welcome.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
the two wires are probably live in and switch live out.. i think its 240 volts.

Does that mean I could just replace the thermostat with a programmable one, and if so would I just leave the manual timer on constant ?

Sponsored Links
Cheers Fitz, thanks for the help. Do you know if the Honeywell CM907 would be suitable?

Do you know if the Honeywell CM907 would be suitable?
Yes, you can use a CM907.

The boiler has three terminals: Ns, Ls and Lr.

The existing thermostat will be connected to Ls and Lr - disconnect it.

You need to run a a 3-core cable from the boiler to the receiver. Connect red to Ls and receiver L; blue to Ns and receiver N; third wire to Nr and receiver B. Then put a link wire between receiver L and receiver A. You should use a proper three core cable - plus earth, if that's all you can get, but the earth is not used.

The existing timer should be put on constant.

Ok I have purchased a CM907 thermostat but the wiring is different from that suggested above. The boiler has 3 connections for the room thermostat marked
RN - Neutral,
RI - Switched Live
RL - Live
(The existing thermostat is connected to RI & RL)
and 3 connections for the existing manual programmer on the boiler itself marked
CN - Neutral
CI - switched live
CL - Live
The CM907 appears to have 3 connections - marked A, B & C, although C is blanked off and would only appear to be used in systems using Zone valves and electric actuators.
The suggested connections for a combi boiler show connection T1 on the boiler going to A on the receiver and T2 on the boiler going to B on the reciever.
Am I right in thinking T1 & T2 refer to Live and switched live?
In addition if I bridged the live and switched live connectors for the manual timer would I then be able to ignore this completely?
I tried to add the wiring diagram to this post but I am not sure how to do this.

[/list]

WB changed their terminal labelling and I was quoting the current ones.

You just need to connect RL to A and RI to B.

You could bridge the existing clock CI and CL terminals if you wanted to - then it won't matter if any one fiddles with the old clock. ;)

i think drayton do a programmable stat that only requires live and switch live. uses a couple of aa batteries so no need for the neutral and can be sited where your existing stat is with no extra wires or receivers added.

Sounds the same as the one I've got - a Honeywell CM907. Takes 2 x aa batteries

Dolby, remove the room thermostat and fit Honeywell unit with wires connected to A and B. When new unit calls for heat, with old timer on constant, boiler should fire.

Easy as following off a log.

Warning. Switch power off. Also test both wires for mains voltage.

Personally, I would take the two wires to the boiler and scrap/ disconnect the timer all together

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back