Moving a sink & waste - back door in the way.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to move my kitchen sink from it's current position to the other side of my back door. At present, the sink drains to a soil stack directly on the outside of the wall.

If the sink is moved, there is no long a route for the waste pipe as it would have to run across the door. There is, however, a surface water drain available.

Can the sink be run into the surface water drain? (the flat above has a bathroom sink which drains into it - whether or not this complies with regulations, I don't know).

If not, what other solutions are available? Would it be easiest to dig around the existing soil stack, fix a strap-on boss and run a T off the stack, under the door, and up to where the sink waste will be (is this allowed, and would it be as simple a job as I'd expect?).

Your advice is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Double check that is definately a surface water drain. Surface water can run into foul drains but, obvioulsy, foul cant run into surface. The guys upstairs might be running into a foul drain but soem surface is going in too. Lift up a manhole cover and hang around for a turd to float by.

What an image! :LOL:

OK... the building is old and has been converted into two flats. I know that there used to be an outside toilet draining into that drain - the smashed-up remains of the ceramic is still there (this is East London, after all).

Only other problem is that the drain hole is 5m away. I've done longer runs by gradually increasing the diameter of the pipe in stages, but I'd like to avoid having pipe everywhere! If I were to go the soil-stack route...

Would it be OK to T-off the soil stack below ground level?
Do I need to inform anyone?
Would the new branch need an AAV where it comes back above the ground, or does it have to vent to the top of the building like the existing one?
Is there a minimum depth the branch would have to run under the ground?

Sponsored Links
grrinc said:
Double check that is definately a surface water drain. Surface water can run into foul drains but, obvioulsy, foul cant run into surface. The guys upstairs might be running into a foul drain but soem surface is going in too. Lift up a manhole cover and hang around for a turd to float by.
You`re a goddam prevert :eek: why not just ask kinda neighbourly ,if the second floor ;) tenant would flush the John with some nice dis en fectant down it and observe that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back