Moving a stud with Parrel Joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have recently purchased a "modern" estate house. It's actually about 15 years old. The ensuite bathroom needs replacing. In particular the shower is tiny especially for a tall some what larger than ideal guy like myself. So fitting a shower tray 30cm bigger in each direction would be ideal.

The stud wall which divides it off from the bedroom behind actually has a return of around 30 cm behind the door. So moving the wall 30cm would square that off and let me have decent shower. So it sounds like the ideal plan.

The only problem is the wall to be moved runs parallel to the joists. So I believe the new stud will need supporting. Especially if it's going to be tiled on one side. Isn't standard practise to install nogins between the joists to support the new wall? To doubly complicate it on lifitng the first floor board I have discovered one side the joists is one of those engineered I joists roughly 240x50. The other side looks like solid OSB. However I think that's clading a steel. The joists under the bathroom run in the opposite direction and I can see the top of what I assume are the hangers sticking out under the next row of floorboards.

Does anybody know if this makes the job wildly more complicated / expensive? I was planning on doing some of the bathroom myself, but this part is a bit much. So I am going to get quotes, but being a smallish job I am afraid of it attracting cow boys.

I am starting to think this is a lot of work just to have a decent shower!

Charlie

Sponsored Links
Could it be that your house uses composite engineered joists - OSB upright piece of OSB with the top and bottom of the "I" formed by softwood pieces? Does it look more like an I-beam? These are called BCI beams - Google Oakworth Engineered Timber to see examples

Thanks for the info. Yep that's what the joist in the bedroom are.

The existing wall though isn't sitting on one of those. Its got a flat face of OSB. I am fairly sure it's a steel I beam clad in the OSB as half the joists for the bathroom and master bedroom must sit on it.

So I guess any nogins would need to bridge the two.

Charlie M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back