Moving a toilet approx 10inches to the left

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently redoing bathroom appliance at a time (first plumbing experience - thoroughly enjoying it so far!). So far have plumbed in the new shower bath and a thermostatic bar shower + done the waste pipe. So basically a fully functional new bath and shower.

Still need to rip out the old bath (yes - we currently have two baths!) fit sink, new towel radiator (in new position), and toilet.

Whilst we basically want the toilet in the same position as old, due to the new shower bath it needs to be moved to the left by around 6-10inches.

I've already moved the old water supply pipe across to where it needs to be and capped off with a compresson stop end for now, ready for an isolation valve and flexible connector when the new toilet is installed.

The slight worry is the soil pipe. Its currently plastic which is a good start. The toilet is on a branch from the main stack of approx length 1.5-2.5 metres.

Therefore to re-site toilet I suspect I just need to:-

i) Place toilet in desired position
ii) Mark wall appropriately.
iii) Hire 150mm diamond cutter and drill through wall. I suspect better to drill a small guide hole first.
iv) Purchase new 110mm 90 degree bend (or perhaps even cannibalise old one from old toilet if can remove intact.
v) Purchase one length of 110mm straight black plastic soil pipe and a straight 'connector sleeve'.
vi) Cut through existing soil stack branch at a convenient point.
vii) Cut new length of straight soil pipe to appropriate length and fit to old branch with sleeve, new 90 degree bend.
viii) fix to outside brick wall with appropriate brackets
ix) fit new toilet.
x) Cement in place.

All seems very simple in my head (yeah right!). However having never done this before, my nagging doubt is whether there will be sufficient 'give' in the soil pipe branch at the connector with the main soil stack for the slight reangle required given the extra 6-10inches of horizontal reach required (I don't think the new angle will be a problem from a minimum drop per metre perspective). Don't really want to put the toilet on a plinth.

Can someone with experience of this job confirm whether this is likely to be a problem or not, or am I worrying about nothing?

On a side note the old bath waste current drains into a drainpipe hopper on the side of the house. The new sink will go where the current bath taps are. I was therefore considering whether plumbing the sink waste into the existing bath waste out into the hopper. Can you still connect wastes this way under building regs? (Suspect not in which case it should be a fairly easy job to drill a boss hole into the existing soil stack branch and pipe wastes in. Just want to know my options.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Use a new bend, old fitting may not seal. If the junction into the stack is at the wrong height you could get round it using an adjustable bend to achieve the desired angle. May be preferable though to get a couple of collars, and reposition the junction to the required height. (Might be as well to fit a new junction is this proves to be the case.)

Personally i'd use a boss to connect the wastes, hoppers are unsanitary affairs for waste water. I think hoppers are still allowed as a direct replacement for an existing hopper, but not for new work.

Bear in mind, sometimes when putting waste pipes from bath and sink into one you get syphoning. gurgling noises from one or other traps when water is pulled from the trap seal, causing smells etc. Easily overcome by anti vac traps etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will try with the adjustable bend to begin with and then go from there. Definitely going into soil pipe for sink waste based upon, and not using drainage hopper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back