Moving a toilet upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am about to move my bathroom upstairs as the existing bathroom is too small. The outlet to the existing downstairs toilet goes straight down into the floor. My new toilet will be almost directly above the old one, so I can connect the new soil pipe to the old exit as I will be removing the old toilet.

There is no vent or air admittance valve on the existing system - will I need either of these now that I have a longer internal sol pipe? I guessing I probably do...

Sponsored Links
Can I connect the new soil pipe to the old exit as I will be removing the old toilet.

I can't see why not as long as you are able to box it in and it will look ok.

Regarding the vent I would think that due to the increased distance you will need at least an AAV.

The soil will be better outside though! :D

Don't live in Duston or Kingsthorpe by any chance do you?

Quite a few houses like this round here with drainage like that most seem to have a weird sloping buttress on the back wall. Coming up from south London I couldn't believe building control approved this drain layout with no vent.

Assuming it doesn't impede side access I think you should have the soil pipe moved to outside, its quieter and maximises internal space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back