Moving bathroom upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to put the bathroom upstairs into an existing large bedroom. The toilet which is downstairs at the moment wastes straight down through the floor meaning there is no soil pipe. Is it simply a case of connecting a soil pipe to the existing waste pipe and extending this to the upstairs. I don't really want to exit through the roof, instead considered using a durgo valve to cap the soil pipe. Will this work?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes a Durgo will work but you must have another open vented stack on your foul drain system somewhere. Be aware the work you’re doing is notifyable & your LABC & a BI may want to inspect! Also the room your forming in the upstairs bedroom must be ventilated (fan or window), electrical work carried out by a Part P certified spark & if there is a W/C, any plasterboard walls that separate the new room & another habitable room (not your room) must use soundblock plaster board & sound insulation in the wall.

Hi Richard....thanks for that. What do you mean by "another habitable room (not your room)"?
How does the current soil pipe arrangement work with the loo flushing straight into the underground pipe to the manhole. There are no other wastes involved as they are discharged through an 1"/1/2 pipe to an outside gulley....what I'm getting at is how does it vent at present.

Thanks again......Eric :)

What do you mean by "another habitable room (not your room)"?
A habitable room is defined as a room used for dwelling purposes but which is not solely a kitchen, utility room, bathroom, cellar or sanitary accommodation. So this will include other bedrooms but not adjacent bathrooms or hallways. If it’s an en-suite off your bedroom, you don’t have to insulate any stud walls that are in your bedroom only the ones between your loo & other habitable rooms (bedrooms). Basically, you can hear your own *arts but the folks in the next bedroom mustn’t!

How does the current soil pipe arrangement work with the loo flushing straight into the underground pipe to the manhole. There are no other wastes involved as they are discharged through an 1"/1/2 pipe to an outside gulley....what I'm getting at is how does it vent at present.
How old is your drainage system? BR’s may have changed since it was built & if you make any changes, they have to comply with current regs. A loo at ground floor level can discharge directly into a drain invert (the horizontal bit under the ground) providing it’s within 1.3m of the base of the loo but the foul drain system should have an open vent somewhere else if there are ohter loos or waste discharge; it may currently be venting through the outside gulley if it’s open but I think those are only allowed on surface (rain) water now, not foul drain systems but I’m not certain. Are there no other loos in your property?

Log onto here:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html

& read Part H.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back