Moving Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

Apologies I'm very new to this.

I've just moved into a 1930s house. It currently has a seperate downstairs toilet and bathroom, with no toilet upstairs.

I'm hoping to move the toilet into the bathroom, however, I was wondering how difficult this would be.

The waste pipe from the toilet goes straight into the ground(see picture).

The bathroom is in the next room, and the toilet would only be a meter max from its current position, so would it be possible to run a waste pipe though the wall and join it up?

Sponsored Links
brooks693,

Are you thinking of running the new soil pipe horizontally thro the wall and dropping into the old, above floor position seen in the pic?
Or are you figuring to come under the floor to make the connection with the existing drainage?

Perhaps, if you came back on here and explained what your proposal for the new lay-out for bathroom and WC compartment is meant to be, we could help you further.

My initial thought was to simply run it horizontally (slight slope) through the wall and attach it to this connection. Seems the much simpler option to me. I'm in the middle of making some diagrams of the rooms so will put them up when done.

Sponsored Links
If you do that, it will work but it will look weird. Never make your biggest investment look weird. Weirdness does not sell, or increase value.

Although I see your point about it looking a bit weird, I've attached a picture of the toilet currently. The pipe would come in the direction indicated. I was planning to use the room as a storage space so it would be easily hidden by a cupboard of some kind.

Fine. That will work. Replace the pan connector.

But why not give some thought to knocking thro the compartment wall to give a larger bathroom, and more lay-out options?

Your existing floor plan gives you ample opportunity to rearrange the whole left wall side of things from the exterior former coal storage to the stairs soffitt or bulkhead.

In fact, depending on money available ( as always ), you could re-arrange the whole ground floor layout, and save a lot of that wasted space and rake of doors & windows.

You could end up with a larger, more viable, kitchen and bathroom.

There are, of course, many other variables to take into account eg. the stair flight probably cuts into the bathroom at, say, 1.3m - 1.4m ht. & location of boiler etc.

This is just a heads up for a possible larger scheme. In the meantime, perhaps, you might figure out a suitable bathroom layout for yourselves?
Post any ideas or plans on here, plenty of advice is available.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm planning to definitely knock out the coal shed and adjacent pantry to extend the kitchen. I was planning on something along the lines of option 2, but you're not wrong, the bath area is very dark and dingy.
Also dreaming of a small shower and toilet upstairs but that's very money permitting.

Ha ha, you're right, never noticed that before. It actually goes top to bottom along that wall. Must correct that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back