moving BT junction box

LOL

seriously making a cable UV safe means blocking the UV from reaching any significant depth in the plastic. The easiest most effective way is to add elemental carbon but there are other substances with different colors that can also be used.

Sponsored Links
Do you recommend the spray on lotion or the rub on cream......only joking !!!!

I think i'll make sure its the CW1308B that i use, thanks all for your replies.

Well i have just received my CW1308B black cable, 17 metres in total.
The outside diameter is about 9mm and its a 10 pair cable also with a solid centre core a bit like a tv aerial cable centre. I assume this is just to help with the shaping of the cable around corners or is there another use for it that i don't know about?

OK so the larger diameter internal wire in the cable is for an earth connection, should i be connecting this anywhere when i reposition my BT socket or is it a "just in case" cable?
thanks, Carl

Sponsored Links
The outside diameter is about 9mm and its a 10 pair cable also with a solid centre core a bit like a tv aerial cable centre. ?

If you use that cable [ 10 pair ] in DIY mode on the network [ BT ] side of an NTE 5 then just hope Openreach [ BT ] are never called out to find and fix a line fault on your line. Unless of course you are DIY stringing it up as overhead from a street DP to your house.

There are limits to the tolerance of BT people no matter how many choccy biscuits you offer them.

I'm just planning to go from the small white box under the gutter, that takes the cable from the telegraph pole, and run thie new wire down the outside of the house so that i can move the BT socket to a more suitable location.
Could this cause a problem then?
I don't intend to use the earth, just the pair of wires that i need.

Using 10 pair for that is so obviously a DIY job on BT property. And I seem to recall the cable is date coded.

Anyone making changes to what is the BT, or whatever they're called these days, and hoping that there will be no future repercussions really must think about how BT would do the work.

The chances of their engineers using 10 pair cable in any domestic, single line installation, must be zilch. Why advertise the fact you have tampered and invite a large bill for putting an installation right.

I have over the years found the majority of BT engineers friendly and helpful and I have made quite a few changes to their wiring and so far have never received any comments from them. I have made a point of doing all the work in a similar way, and using BT style components.

The best advise for anyone contemplating tampering, and it is tampering, with BT side of the master socket is to always make it look like it was done by BT. Correct cable, correct fittings and very few engineers will raise an eyebrow. But make it look like a DIY job and expect them to throw the book!!

I was advised here that the CS1308B cable is the correct cable that is used by BT, are you saying this is not the case.
What cable would BT expect to see as part of the installation?

Not trying to say that CW1308 spec cable is wrong but that reference refers to the actual make up or characteristics of a particular cable etc. It doesn't refer, or imply, how many pairs make up any particular length of cable.

What I was trying to say was that if you are wanting to avoid too detailed an investigation by a BT engineer then use similar materials they would. The would never use 10 pair (cores ?) cable in this situation more like 2 pairs. Doing what you are intending to use shout DIY!

Likewise internally, unless BT have changed recently and a BT engineer will no doubt confirm if this is the case, DIYers normally use 2 pair (4 core) cable whereas BT the norm, unless changed, was to use 3 pair (6 core) cable. So if a moved master socket has been wired using 2 pair it will take a lot of convincing that it was done by BT in the past! They also don't use normal electrical junction boxes or electrical strip connectors. (Seen both!)

point is it`s not a DIY job, so don`t moan if you get caught

Not trying to say that CW1308 spec cable is wrong but that reference refers to the actual make up or characteristics of a particular cable etc. It doesn't refer, or imply, how many pairs make up any particular length of cable.

What I was trying to say was that if you are wanting to avoid too detailed an investigation by a BT engineer then use similar materials they would. The would never use 10 pair (cores ?) cable in this situation more like 2 pairs. Doing what you are intending to use shout DIY!
Do you have any idea where CW1308B or outdoor CW1308 can be bought in pair counts that aren't suspicously high?

CW1308B is suitable for use both indoors and outdoors, unfortunately it seems a little tricky to source the stuff at low pair counts.

What pair-count is typically used by BT? I notice on EBay that there's both 2 and 3-pair claimed to be CW1308 for internal and external use, although it doesn't explicitly say CW1308B...e.g. the 3 pair is here http://tinyurl.com/32q6yj.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back