Moving cooker cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CookerPower.jpg

Our 'new' house has power cables in surface mounted trunking throughout. The cooker has to move left of its original position for the kitchen I'm installing, as shown. Can I tidy it a little by running the cable in a channel behind the splash back tiles? If so, I'd rather the visible trunking was vertical and the channel angled but does the channel have to be vertical? (Rest assured an electrician will be connecting and certifying it all!)

Sponsored Links
Hidden wiring has to be in safe zones, vertical or horizontal from switches etc. So no, you can't angle the channel.

Sponsored Links
What a sanctimonious contribution from ban-all-sheds. So sorry not to have used precisely the terminology that he would have preferred, but anyway what on earth does his question mean?

I thought the aim of this forum was to assist anyone wishing to do-it-themselves to get it right and do it safely. That's what I want to do and tried to convey that with my sign off comment.

I had a meeting today with my electrician who confirmed winston1's advice and OK'd my plans to add a couple of additional sockets. He will return to fit a new consumer unit and connect my work. When that's complete he plans to use his clever equipment to test the whole property, plug the results into a program on his computer and finally print a certificate which he will sign and give to me. That's what I meant by certify.

What a sanctimonious contribution from ban-all-sheds.
¿Que?

screenshot_1094.jpg

Care to show how "sanctimonious" could be a good description of the question I asked? BTW - if you do decide to try and justify yourself, please rely only on the actual question I asked - trying to invent some "meaning" which is not there in the words and then complaining because you don't like the "meaning" you have invented will not work.

So sorry not to have used precisely the terminology that he would have preferred, but anyway what on earth does his question mean?
It means what it says.

It does not mean any of the myriad things which it does not say.

"Certification" is a perfectly good term, but we do get people here who don't know what it means/entails. Some think, for example, that they can DIY something and then get an electrician who had not been involved at all to come along and sign a certificate to say that he did it.

I thought the aim of this forum was to assist anyone wishing to do-it-themselves to get it right and do it safely. That's what I want to do and tried to convey that with my sign off comment.
It is, and you make it harder for people to assist you when you accuse them of being self-righteous or priggish etc when they ask you a question in case you're labouring under a misapprehension which will result in disappointment, or worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back