Moving cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're planning a new kitchen and an improvement would be to move the hob 20 or so cm to the right of its current position. This would also mean moving the cooker hood (and installing a new one). The present old fashioned hood vents out through the wall behind the wall unit above the hob. Two questions -
(1) is there a way of doing this with flexible ducting without moving the vent (the outside wall is rather nice stone)? and
(2) if (1) is possible, i presume this would mean a chimney extractor would not be feasible since it would expose the old venting position?

Hope I've made myself clear! Many thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
You can't have a chimney type with external extraction ,utilising the existing hole. You could have it re circulating, after being filtered,back into the room ,and fill / plaster over the hole in the wall.

Thanks very much for your reply. Would any other type of hood work, do you think, if it had a cupboard unit above it to hide the changes?

Yes ,extractor within a cabinet ,and wall cabinet, maybe either side ,would allow you to vent to the original hole. Go see a kitchen planner ,most will give you a plan free of charge.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that - we're in the throes of seeing different kitchen planners but also wanting to think it through ourselves so we can decide what we want.

why not post a kitchen plan showing the new proposed position and the old position of the ext and its duct?

Thanks for you
20200307_174517.jpg
r interest. It's fairly straightforward - if we moved everything along a bit (the idea being to widen the cooking area and to add 800cm wide pan drawers underneath) the centre of the hob would be about 20cm to the right so the cooker hood would be too. I can't see exactly where the duct is but I'm assuming it's placed at the midpoint of the hood. Photo attached of the current setup.

then do as terryplumb suggests.

note: allowing for due safety, ducts are run through or over wall units all the time.
dont ever use flexi ducts.
there are flat channel ducts, and rigid or semi rigid metal round ducts

OK, thanks - we'll be in discussion with kitchen fitters so hopefully they'll do the right thing but it's useful to have your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back