Moving darn south

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like we're going to have to relocate for work, my OH will be working in London so we're thinking of looking around the Croydon, Bromley, Orpington areas.
Anyone down there? I want to register with a few estate agents as soon as possible so could do with some recommendations.
So far I've registered with these http://www.alandemaid.co.uk/forsaleoffice/Locksbottom/82 but need some more, there are so many of them though, I don't know where to start.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
A lot of estate agents are now using 'Rightmove' and various other central agencies to do their advertising for them.

Are planning on renting or buying?
If renting you may find you have upfront fees to register and then fees to apply for a property. If you are not selected as tenants for that property you get the fee returned. However, if you are selected and then decline it you will lose your application fee. Some agencies put the first applicant forward to the owner/landlord whilst others wait till they have a number of people then put the names forward in a block entry. Owner/landlord then chooses who they want to rent their property. Its basically a ploy to weed out timewasters who apply for a number of properties at the same time then sit back at liesure deciding which one to take.

Looks like we're going to have to relocate for work, my OH will be working in London so we're thinking of looking around the Croydon, Bromley, Orpington areas.

My commiserations.

Of course, you could become a missionary to the primitive people of London.

Just use Rightmove, or you will get so much crap, using rightmove, you can look at so many things, even the house history. Then use Google earth.
Use Mouseprice for prev prices & size, look at nestoria, then don't forget upmystreet.

Sponsored Links
'Darn'?

Its 'dahn saahf' 'Dan with with a subtle 'H'. You go to Sahfend for the seaside dahn saahf.

I do like you Whitespirit! You make me laugh. Still to this day I show people that clip of 'the bleeding time' and laugh at it!

I thought there must be one other out there with a similar sense of humour.

Never stop laughing Mr W. It makes the world go around. ;)

I still giggle at 'Hammer Sandwich' and use it often on site. Always met with a blank look. :eek: Fawlty towers at its best.

Depends what you're looking for really, house or flat? Big budget, small budget? Nice middle class area or gangstertown? I've a mate who rents out a few places, mostly in Croydon, but most of those are HMO's and you have to share kitchen etc with housemates.

If you can find a place directly through the landlord and cut out the estate agents, you'll save yourself some hefty fees. Being charged several hundred quid every 6 months for renewing your contract, that sort of thing.
Try gumtree, but you have to be quick off the mark.

Looks like we're going to have to relocate for work,
If your employer is asking you to relocate then they should be offering help with the house hunting and removal costs. Some employers use relocation companies who buy the old house and allow you to live there on licence and thus provide immediate funds to buy the new house.

Rightmove (as suggested) and Primelocation.com are both good sources of properties and you can set up search parameters to get daily updates if you want.

Best advice I can give is to look very carefully at transport links for the commute into town. Needless to say the closer the house is to good commuter links the more it will cost. Conversely being further from a station can mean a painful commute so consider carefully. Nothing worse than having to get up at silly o'clock just to beat the rush, especially if you haven't been used to it before.

Happy hunting :)

Sponsored Links
Back