Moving door in main supporting wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.im looking to move a door opening from 1st floor bedroom wall about 2mtrs from original opening so I can create a hallway.the wall is a main supporting wall single brick.underneth the wall is a catnic box lintel sitting on approx 250mm pillars creating an approx opening of 1500mm.can anyone advise me on the best thing to use as a lintel.concrete or catnic also the best thing to support the wall acro props or strong boys.whats the best thing to block old door way up with and if its possible to do in the first place.thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Most things are possible.
Blocking up the old door- whatever you like- brick or block or stud it with 4 x 2, it will all be supported by the lintel below.

New door. How near will it be to the outside wall of the house? What is above it? Which way do the ceiling joists run? How far above the door top is the ceiling?

I live in a terrace and I'd like to get the door as close to the wall as possible? It's just a loft above but the main roof is resting on the wall.the gap will be approx 400mm-450mm

Sponsored Links
Ideally you would leave 200 mm or so between your new doorway and the outside wall (the wall you are cutting into may be buttressing the front wall).
You'll need acro props and strongboys and spreaders (scaff boards) on the floor so the acros don't go through the floor.
Lintel- Birtley or Catnic or IG or any other fabricated type measured so there's at least 150mm bearing either side
You'll need building regs as well, do it on a building notice, they may advise on lintel and nib.
Is the outside wall a party wall- if so then definitely leave 200mm nib unless you want the cost and hassle of party wall notices, surveyors etc.

The wall is a party wall.so if I wanted to go close to the corner as possible i would have to break into the party wall approx 100mm and leave 100mm sticking out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back