Moving Gas appliances (fire & boiler)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As part of some major remodelling in my wee house, I have three gas-related tasks:

1) Move gas meter (currently it hangs in space, suspended by the supply pipe)
2) Move combi boiler to loft from kitchen
3) Move gas fire a few feet along the wall

Obviously very little of this I will be able to do myself, so I'll need to get a professional in, but I am at a loss working out who to call to get estimates and consultation so I can judge whether to even bother! Does anyone have any starting points, even suitable google search terms would help?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Hi
Moving the gas meter HAS to be done by the SUPPLIER (transco etc) no if's or but's about it, if you get anyone else to do it both they and you are liable to be prosecuted (the supplier will have a record of where the meter is installed), Very dodgy to even attempt as there is no way of isolating the pipework, if anything goes wrong then you have an unstoppable supply of gas to crispy bake you and your house.
As far as the boiler and the fire are concerned, any CORGI registered engineer can do it, go to Corgi's website to get a list of ones local to you.
Regards
Rob

Thanks for the pointers, and the reminder about supplier and meter.

Looking forward to getting this all planned so I can start ripping stuff out and preparing the spaces.

just out of interest how much do you think the meter move will cost you?

Sponsored Links
just out of interest how much do you think the meter move will cost you?

I have no idea, which is partly why I'm here. I think there's a high chance that the existing meter will qualify as dangerous (its only mounting seems to be the gas supply pipe) so with a bit of luck that'll be covered by some regulation and I won't have to shell out too much.

/edit: that seems to be the right way to mount a meter - not touching anything - so maybe it doesn't need dealing with after all. It IS somewhat wobbly though!

You should ring your gas provider about the meter, get them to come and fix it, doubt they will move it for free though, even if you can get them to move it slightly in relation to the ECV you will have to get someone to reconnect the output side to the original pipework.

The boiler can go in the loft providing it has sufficient head height, flooring to the boiler location, a permanant ladder, decent lighting and a rail round the hatch! It'll cost you though theres a lot of extra pipework involved plus in most cases running a dedicated gas supply to it and in most cases a new flue, (if available).

As you are asking about moving the fire a couple of feet can we assume its a flueless one? Good luck trying to find an RGI to get involved with moving that most of us would not be interested!

You should ring your gas provider about the meter, get them to come and fix it, doubt they will move it for free though, even if you can get them to move it slightly in relation to the ECV you will have to get someone to reconnect the output side to the original pipework.

Yep, of course. But if I'm moving the boiler then that can be rolled into the same visit, I hope.

The boiler can go in the loft providing it has sufficient head height, flooring to the boiler location, a permanant ladder, decent lighting and a rail round the hatch! It'll cost you though theres a lot of extra pipework involved plus in most cases running a dedicated gas supply to it and in most cases a new flue, (if available).

By "head height" do you refer to the water supply? Shower is good and powerful so I think that won't be a prob. I have all the rest except for a railing at the loft hole. I'd better fit that AFTER getting the boiler through the hole :)

As you are asking about moving the fire a couple of feet can we assume its a flueless one? Good luck trying to find an RGI to get involved with moving that most of us would not be interested!

Nope, flue and all! And yes, the couple I have spoken to were NOT interested! Those few feet would make the difference between a usable lounge and a melted couch. It's more and more looking like the fire will just get removed and plastered over at this rate.

Thanks for all the input, I'm generally capable around the house but very green when it comes to gas.

There ARE ifs and buts about moving meters! It's a bit crazy. I asked corgi if I could move a meter leaving the gas tap in the same place, and they say yes. SO maybe you can get it tidied up a bit. People get it done a lot in flats. Your corgi has to be qualified.

The meter must be supported - wobbly will not do. It should have a support bracket agin the wall, or be on a shelf/the floor.

Warning when moving gas boilers, especially combis- you may well need new flue parts, and the darned things VERY often leak internally. Worcester CDi I wouldn't risk moving!

Providing you dont want the service pipe moving then it is not a problem to move the meter and if it is hanging in mid air phone them they will fix back to wall for free as it is there responsibilty and they should alter the outlet for free as it is part of the job but you may get a smart ass.
Proplumber is wrong as in no ifs or butts.
What do you mean move fire is it a balanced or fan flued type

So here's an update on the situation: I got a CORGI and "MET1" fitter in and his advice was not to bother with a gas fire, go for electric instead. The meter is "on an anaconda" so he has some freedom to move it about. That, and supply and fit a new boiler in the loft and pretty much redo the pipework in the kitchen, and make good the walls, and relocate the cooker gas supply comes in at £2000. I've got to get the sparky in and cost up the new fixtures before I go ahead with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back