Old gas appliance removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just moved into an old house that has a really old gas cooker / oven range thingy that just looks dangerous and needs removing. I also have two very old gas fires in other rooms that also need to be removed. Eventually I will pay for new combi boiler and heating system to be installed (and the cooker will be electric induction anyway).
I have turned the gas supply off outside with the stop lever next to the gas meter but my question is would it now be safe to cut the old pipes and remove the old appliances or do I need to do anthing futher (have the pipe inside the house blocked etc.) I will not be using any gas until the new system is installed but my worry was that in theory (although unlikely) somebody could turn the gas supply back on and the house would then fill with gas ! Also I am putting all my trust in the mains stop lever. I would rather not pay if it is not necessary for a gas engineer to come out but do want it to be safe !
Thanks if anybody can advise.
Tim.

Sponsored Links
you must not just cut the pipes, someone might turn on the gas without knowing, maybe tomorrow, maybe in 20 years time. There might be the tiniest leak that could build up under the floor and cause an explosion one day.

I don't know what it would cost to have a gas fitter do it safely and test properly for leakage; I've had it done when other gas work was being done.

I recently paid £36 to have a gas engineer cut and cap a pipe in my cellar to an old fire that was being removed. Money well spent IMHO.

Sponsored Links
To be fully safe you need the meter to be removed or capped.

Then you can do what you like inside as long as you engage a reg gas safe engineer to test the system before reconnecting the gas supply.

Most would only charge 36 to 48 pounds to cap off at the meter. Some might do it free if they thought you would engage them to reconnect internal appliances.

Tony

Thanks everybody for your replies. I will find a local gas engineer to cap the pipe properly (it's already exposed).
Tim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back