How much to remove a redundant gas pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need old pipework removed. It's capped at the moment. How much would it be to remove the pipe completely? There is easy access to the gas meter as there is a hatch directly under it. The only other gas appliance in the house is a boiler.

Sponsored Links
Prices vary up and down the country. Your interpretation of easy and a gas engineer’s interpretation of easy can be totally different.

Last edited:
Based in West of Scotland. We're wanting to know if it's worthwhile removing or not. The idea is to eventually get a log burner type stove fitted. Gas meter is indoors and hatch can fit a large person. Any idea on costs would be appreciated.

Again, I can’t comment on costs because I’m not SE, and everyone charges differently. There are some on here based in Scotland who might be able to give you a rough figure. Not sure if it’s worth doing or not.

Sponsored Links
I will do it for £10.00
If you want it testing afterwards the price is £50.00
If you would like me to remove my shoes an extra £60.00 is payable.
I will need accommodation whilst I’m there for my girlfriend and four kids my wife doesn’t know about.
We’ll treat it as a holiday but I don’t mind doing five or ten minutes work for a free week in Scotland.
Are there any decent pubs in Scotland?
Yes, I know Ian’s missus has one but is it near you?
So........ £80.00 tops. Any more than that and you’re being ripped off.
Black pudding, not white thank you. X
Edit
Oh yeah, I love single malt.

Last edited:
I've been quoted £150, so looks like I'm getting ripped off.

£150 doesn't sound a million miles off at todays rates, access will be classed as less than ideal if it requires going through and taking all your tools through a hatch.

Then they've got to remove the old run of pipe or are you happy for it to be left in place and just capped off at the meter, maybe the job will cost less if you say you'll remove the old pipework if the gsr makes it safe at the meter?

Reactions: CBW
Yup, well overpriced for the West of Scotland IMO if the access is good and the pipe will come out without any hassle.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back