Suspect lead gas pipe dangling from kitchen ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Moved into a 1930's house recently and to my surprise this old, lead, dangling pipe in the kitchen is a 'live' gas feed with an ancient looking connector/tap.

1. Any ideas on what it may have fed?? There are fixing holes on the wall - I reckon its been redundant for some time. Its linked to lead piping under the upstairs floorboards which I think once supplied ceiling gaslights.

2. Should I just get the pipe removed and capped or have the entire lead pipe supply (which seems to be connected to modern copper pipework) completely removed?? Any ideas of cost would be helpful. I can't trace where the new copper pipework connects to the old.

Cheers,

Glenn
DSC01980.jpg
DSC01981.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
haha I'm familiar with copper pipes but this unpainted section taken from where it emerges under the floorboards upstairs doesn't look like copper

Attachments

• DSC01928.jpg
    DSC01928.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 346
Screwed iron, that one....isn't the first pic a brass cock soldered onto copper?
(Nope, that's iron too :eek:)
John :)

haha I'm familiar with copper pipes but this unpainted section taken from where it emerges under the floorboards upstairs doesn't look like copper
It's not lead either - lead is too soft to cut a thread onto. It's iron/steel. Did you say it was live? :eek:

Yes, it's live. I tested the brass cock today. I'm getting the impression that it is unsafe and should be dealt with urgently? I'm guessing the appliance it served has long gone so it did surprise me that's it not been properly capped/made safe.

Yes, that is both classed as Immediately Dangerous and RIDDOR reportable - the most serious of dangerous gas situations. You should isolate your gas at your meter and call someone in to sort it ASAP

Cheers for the advice and glad I checked. The cooker and boiler are fed by new pipework/fittings so I'm amazed this was neglected and still connected! An inconvenient eyesore has now been elevated to top priority.

How do you know it is still connected to the gas supply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back