Are unused Lead gas pipes safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been in my house (Victorian terrace circa 1900)for three years now. Upon moving in I removed quite a lot of unused lead piping from the cellar, which I had assumed was from the old water supply.

However - now decorating the upstairs back bedroom and lifted a couple of floorboards to find that there is more lead piping under there, which seems to lead to an old (unused)outlet by the fireplace. From this I assume it was a gas pipe as why would you have a water supply going to an open fireplace?

Anyway - assuming that, and the fact that the lead pipe is safely beneath the floor and unused - is it safe or should I rip it out?

Sponsored Links
unused as in not connected to the gas "live" pipework anymore ?

if its not connected to gas anymore then its just a lump of lead.

if its connected still then i would feel inclined to have it capped as short as poss...it might be it can be cut off/capped near the meter....but obviuosly its all down to whatever has been piped up at ur place.

I'll double check some more, but all the lead piping in the cellar was definitely disconnected and the connections from the mains gas inlet are all copper

If I can find an open end to the piping upstairs then I guess it must definitely be disconnected!

I guess what I really wanted to know was whether it's safe to leave it. All the info on lead poisoning seems to be around touching it, so if it's under the floor it ought to be safe right?

If it is an old compo gas pipe it will be roughly the same diameter as copper pipe and as it is thin walled can be easily moved/bent. It looks totally different from a lead water pipe, which is heavy.
You will probably find old lead gas pipes under the boards of every room as old houses had gas lights. It is unlikely to be connected to anything but if you are not sure get someone to check it for you.
As far as lead poisoning goes, forget about it ;)

Sponsored Links
I'd rip it all out and cash it in. You should be able to get enough money for at least a night down the pub.

Of course, this is not advised if the pipework is still connected, but that seems unlikely.

Its a gas pipe probably dead. Wipe the dust off the top of the tee part where it is cut.

sorry cant tell if the is an open end or not.....u look !!

also, look at the meter...if the gas pipe just goes outside in copper to a boiler/cooker and u cant see it going through the wall anywhere else then may be ok (ie dead)

It's definitely disconnected.

Now - next question. What is the best/safest way of cutting lead piping to get it out?

i tend to cut lead with my plastic pipe cutters....hack saw will do it also

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back