Lead water pipe behind fireplace..(now with pics!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've recently taken out a 1930's fireplace in the lounge. Behind it is an old original baxi boiler.

It has two lead pipes going into a solid water heater container, (i'll try to get some pics). I undid one of the lead pipes and was shocked to see that water was still running through them!

I would like to remove this water container and part of the lead pipe work to fit new fire in. But obviously i need to stop the supply to these two lead pipes first.

They run under the floorboards from the bathroom where water boiler is into the 2nd bedroom (above lounge) then drop down the chimney to the fireplace.

What options do i have to seal them off and cut the water supply to the fire place?

Thanks very much for anyhelp.

Sponsored Links
Turn off water supply and drain the hot water cylinder!!
You may need to remove top connection and syphon as many older ones Do not have a drain cock or it is seized.
When you are sure it is empty, undo the union on the back boiler and drain into a bucket!!
When empty disconnect at the cylinder and seal connections with cap nuts ,(usually 1" Bsp).
Alternatively call a plumber !!

thanks for the advice.

here's some pics

Image074.jpg

Image073.jpg

Image072.jpg

Get a 1inch barrell nipple and join the buggers s together ;) Strangest thing I`ve seen in 30+years :eek: would`ve thought it`d be done in screwed iron :confused:

Sponsored Links
I suspect its only the cold feed which is live.

Drain loft cistern and cut pipes and cap off with lead locks. Or just one if you can decide which is the feed.

Tony

Paul_GPvR said:
Hi.

I would like to remove this water container and part of the lead pipe work to fit new fire in. But obviously i need to stop the supply to these two lead pipes first.

They run under the floorboards from the bathroom where water boiler is into the 2nd bedroom (above lounge) then drop down the chimney to the fireplace.

What options do i have to seal them off and cut the water supply to the fire place?

You haven't said whether the 2 lead pipes are still connected to the water cylinder, boiler, heating system or disconnected. If they're connected to the hot water storage cylinder, you have to drain the heating system if it's indirect (heats boiler water) or the hot water cylinder if it's direct (heats hot tap water). Maybe drain the cold water storage tank if you can't isolate the cold feed; drain all of it to be safe, in case the cylinder coil leaks.

If there's no low level drain cock, you'll have a challenge to stop a small flood. A pipe freezer would be useful, freeze both pipes, disconnect, connect drain hoses or stop valves. It might be disconnected and sealed; if so, a fire might have caused something to pop in a dramatic manner.

I would be v. surprised if the lead pipes are still connected up top.
I've taken a few of these out doing fireplaces and while there is residual water in the pipes (enough for half a bucket) there is never more than this.
If you have undone one of the unions and water was absolutely p*ssing out and it kept on coming then they are probably still connected but I doubt it.
Try undoing one again.

if still connected to cylinder which is likely, it will be a direct cylinder . turn water off open hot tap .syphon out of top of cyl useing a 1meter long piece of old 1/2 copper inserted in top hot draw off and them conect hose to this to make shaw you get to bottom of tank , cap circs off , there will still be water water in the pipes at the boiler get a couple of buckets or an old plastic dustbin knock a screwdriver or file tang into lead near boiler and it will sqirt into bucket about a bucket full . have fun

Sorry to reassure this thread but it fits nicely with what I'm looking at. Does anyone know whether asbestos was used to insulate the lead pipes from the boilers in these 1930 homes? I'm about to rip out our chimney breast and although there doesn't appear to asbestos present I can't see what lurkes behind and in the walls.

Sorry to reassure this thread but it fits nicely with what I'm looking at. Does anyone know whether asbestos was used to insulate the lead pipes from the boilers in these 1930 homes? I'm about to rip out our chimney breast and although there doesn't appear to asbestos present I can't see what lurkes behind and in the walls.

You always have to be wary around old installations, yes asbestos could have been used, maybe not in the walls but just be wary. Work your way around carefully.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back