Suspect lead gas pipe dangling from kitchen ceiling

Sponsored Links
Yes, that is why it is dangerous.

A 2 y.o. child could turn it on and leave it open!

Yep. A feed from the ceiling struck me as very odd too.....easily knocked on the corner of a doorway.

Sponsored Links
Yep. A feed from the ceiling struck me as very odd too.....easily knocked on the corner of a doorway.

That in itself is not dangerous! I've caught a barrel gas main with a jcb bucket before and gave it a yank before realising... it didn't fail... although my bottom did a bit :eek:

Tough as iron it is :sneaky:
But should have been capped when appliance removed... no doubt done by someone who knew no better!

Playing Devils Advocate......
Why is a gas tap on a pipe Id But 4 on a Hob is ok.!!
They both pose the same risk !! o_O

Old cookers dont.
That's an old pipe
:)

Not to down play dangers of gas, but I clearly recall, in my Grandparents house, a 1/4 " uncapped bib cock that would have been there for a poker, but I don't recall it being used. In the house in which I was raised, we had a bayonet fitting with a poker permanently plugged in, and on the cooker we had pilot lights and a poker, connected, I believe, with plastic tube. Don't think it was reinforced but could be wrong.

Last edited:
no need to classify it at all IMO
by the time you've spent filling out the paper work etc. you could've just capped it and been on your way!

There is a slight difference between an open pipe and a gas hob burner.

An open pipe can give about 5-10 cubic metres of gas an hour, whereas a hob burner has only a very small jet and a small fraction of that volume.

Many people leave unlit hobs on and smell it and turn it off and survive.

5 cubic metres of gas would cause a big explosion if accidentally ignited by a static spark or a light switch being operated.

An engineer called to a gas leak will never ring the door bell!

Tony

5 cubic meters of gas would not cause any explosion ,
unless it had the right amount of air mixed in with it Agile .
Basic physics and the figures are very simple to remember and part of your ACS

5 cubic meters of gas would not cause any explosion ,
unless it had the right amount of air mixed in with it Agile .
Basic physics and the figures are very simple to remember and part of your ACS

Sir, you are fast. I was thinking but you had written it and were long gone:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back