Cap Redundant Gas Pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my gas service moved and new meter fitted, waiting for corgi to connect up new supply this thursday.

Inside the house this leaves me with old steel pipe which runs under the concrete floor supplying the now dead boiler and cooker. The old pipe was open to the air for 10 minutes or so and then a cap fitted where the meter used to live. The installer told me it was to prevent any smells.

Am I allowed to take out my old boiler as the gas pipe seems empty? If I am, do I need to cap the old gas pipes or can I cut off below ground level and smooth over with new mortar?

Sponsored Links
they need to be capped to prevent the smell of gas in your home. (the "smelly" chemical is very potent)

There could be a little gas hanging in the pipe, but not much. There's no particular procedure to adopt for disconnecting the boiler from the dead pipe, so I don't see whhy you shouldn't do it. Keep ignition sources away, open both ends of the pipe, and it'll soon go because it's lighter than air.

If your old pipe in the meter cupboard is steel, it'll be screwed into an elbow or tee which is buried. There will be some paste on the joint, which will make it hard to undo. Once the gas is all gone, heat the pipe near the floor, and give it a while for the heat to "soak" downwards to the joint. It'll soften the paste whicxh will undo failry easily with stillsons, or largish grips.
You could put aplug in the fitting, but if it's buried in mortar I doubt you'll smell it!

Sponsored Links
You could always stuff a ball of Denso tape down the pipe before the cement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back