Gas pipe capping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Please note I am not going to do a DIY job of capping the pipe that used to go to a gas fire- I'll get a CORGI fitter to do that if needs be.

However, the gas supply to an old (departed) gas fire comes through the usual chrome/shiny restrictor elbow which has been professionally capped off, i.e. a threaded piece of metal inserted.

I have good reason to believe that the actaul pipe below the floor bringing in the gas is no longer connected to the gas supply, since we had the supply re-routed. My question is this- if the supply is still there should this be apparent if I undo both the screw cap and the screw underneath?

At present I can undo both screws and no gas comes out. I an guessing this means that it is not connected and I can get rid of the pipe altogether. Am I right?

Sponsored Links
At present I can undo both screws and no gas comes out. I an guessing this means that it is not connected and I can get rid of the pipe altogether. Am I right?

It sounds as if it is no longer connected if gas is not coming when internal screw is opened.

you are correct, if the plug with threads is remove from the gas outlet, then the silver cap removed from the restictor elbow under there is as brass screw if this is removed anticlockwise and no gas comes out then is is not connectected to the gas supply, be carefll thought there may be local isolator down stream of elbow turned off.

Sponsored Links
For what it takes I would cut the pipe under the floor and then cap off with a solder end cap. This covers all eventualities of someone later on re-instating the gas pipe by mistake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back