removal of living flame gas fire and capping off of the gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any corgi registered gas fitters ressure me

we have had a corgi registered gas fitter around to disconnect a living flame fire.

I did explain the fire was been replaced with a grate for logs to burn in the same place and perhaps later on a multi stove

I am relly worried that he has capped the gas pipe off in the fireplace more or less at the level of the new grate. I asked twice if it would be ok to expose the capped off live gas supply pipe inside the fireplace to such extreme temperatures given off by wood or coal burning so close. He said it would be fine and there was nothing to worry about.

I scared to death of lighting a fire on top of a live gas pipe what is right and what is wrong because it doesn`t seem right to me.

mark

Sponsored Links
Obviously we can't see it to comment exactly, but from what you have described I would never cap off and leave it in the fireplace or under the new proposed fire.

How has he capped it off, copper or black iron?

Obviously we can't see it to comment exactly, but from what you have described I would never cap off and leave it in the fireplace or under the new proposed fire.

Thanks for answering so quickly dave there is about 6 to 8 inches of pipe stuck up inside the fireplace he s bent it ober at 90 degrees so it s only stuck up about 4 inches. Half of it has had a grey tape wrapped around it then about three or four inches of copper pipe capped at the end with a copper cap about half inch long which is soldered in place. When I asked him he said it should be just below the level of the grate and if i needed to bend the pipe any lower i could. Its that bend thin guage stuff.

I don t want to make a great log fire and send the misses kids and house up with it.

Cheers

mark

and why would it matter how he has capped it off. Surely a pipe with gas inside it in a fireplace is a danger isn`t it . The more I think about it the more it bothers me.

mark

Sponsored Links
cant see it so cant say

why not ask him to cappit orf somewhere else

it may cost u more money but you'll get piece of mind

:)

cant see it so cant say

why not ask him to cappit orf somewhere else

it may cost u more money but you'll get piece of mind

Get this.... I rang the plumber this morning. Asking if it the gas pipe had been capped off somewhere else or if not did the pipe in the fireplace ave gas inside it and was capped off.

Capped off was the response. Solder or Iron I asked. Solder I was informed....

I know I am been silly and your a Corgi engineer but i m really uncomfortable with a live gas pipe exposed so closely to such extreme temperatures from burning logs and coal. Are you sure its ok... I won t be using it for real fires..... Its fine, no probs I was told again... But if the solder is put there through melting it with heat. Won t a real fire melt the solder and or the coppper pipe and blow me, the wife and the kids to kingdom come I asked.....

Hold on can you give me two mins and I` ll call you back came the response I knew he was off for a second opinion.....

Two minutes later.... Gas man... Whatever you do don`t put a fire in that fireplace the gas pipe should be nowhere near it, I`ll come back and sort it out and cap it off somewhere else.

We`ll have to rip your floors up to get to it he says.

I reply by telling him no I showed you yesterday it s fed from the pipe onthe wall in the dining room. Just cap that off in there. Job done.

How will I know that It will work. Corgiman replies. That s easy there won t be any gas running through when you test it will there.

Oh yeh I ll pop around later this week to sort it.

Should I be worried I suspect I know the answer. Exams can be passed. It doesn`t mean a person can have an ounce of common sense. Anyone want to offer an enthusiastic 41 year old an apprenticeship to retrain would be well rewarded with a loyal servant

I am sorry marky but I must be thick tonight because that didnt make sense to me at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back