Gas fire fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's not "Central Heating" but it is heating :)

I have a victorian fireplace with a traditional grate for coal/wood and am thinking of replacing it with a gas fired flame effect grate instead.

This will require a new gas pipe wtih a run of about 15 ft to be fitted under the floorboards fitted with a tap and supply to new grate.

What should I expect to pay for a gas fitter to do the job and where should I look for quotes? (I would source the grate seperately)

Should I also get the chimney swept as the fireplace hasn't been used for some time?

Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
Good idea to get it swept for piece of mind. Have this done first so your corgi fitter can check the pull of the chimney.

As for price I would expect to pay around £100 for fitting.

Look in your local rag for local Corgis or ask friends for reccommendations:D

do not fit many fires bacho?a ton is a bit on the chirpy chirpy cheep side.i never give a price for a fire without a visit first.flue must be swept prior to fitting,ventilation,correct terminal,work needed to the builders opening just a few points that may need addressing before you mention money :eek: 15 foot of pipe, fittings and the dreaded laminate flooring pipe sizing the list is like an ariston washing machine it goes on and on :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Chimney sweeping is Only a requirement if manufacturers instructions ask for it . Good practise but not a requirement. As for price it all depends on how much alteration is required to accept a gas fire grate into existing. Also they are very inefficient and cost a fortune to run with not a lot of heat

namsag said:
Chimney sweeping is Only a requirement if manufacturers instructions ask for it . Good practise but not a requirement. As for price it all depends on how much alteration is required to accept a gas fire grate into existing. Also they are very inefficient and cost a fortune to run with not a lot of heat

I think you will find that a chimney that has previously been used with a solid fuel burning appliance (as in this case) MUST be swept before being used for a gas appliance.

Even if its going to be lined it MUST be swept first.

Scatman have a look at that link that was put for the acs core exam and go into the gas fire exam it will tell you in there . Question asks. Unless the manufacturers instructions state otherwise is there a requirement under the gas safety installation and use regulations nineteen nintey eight to sweep a chimney before fitting a gas fire to it ?

The answer is no

As i already said i agree it is best practise but it is neither a rule or a requirement for a straight fix gas fire unless manufacturers specifically ask

Someone better ring CORGI and tell them that their publication entitled
"Core Gas Safety" is incorrect. :LOL:

Section 13 : Flueing Standards

An exsisting chimney should be swept before use, unless previously used for a gas appliance.

So if the chimney has previously been used for a gas appliance then there is no requirement.

But in this case its been used for solid fuel so there is a requirement.

An exsisting chimney should be swept before use

See how it doesnt say must

I spent ages scouring GSIUR last night and could only come up with this:-
27.—(1) No person shall install a gas appliance to any flue unless the flue is suitable and in a proper condition for the safe operation of the appliance.

Nothing that says 'must' yet a strong implication of the 'should'

I spent ages scouring GSIUR last night and could only come up with this:- Quote:
27.—(1) No person shall install a gas appliance to any flue unless the flue is suitable and in a proper condition for the safe operation of the appliance.

Like i said...a flue that has previously been used for solid fuel is not suitable UNLESS it has been swept first.

So, No person shall install a gas appliance to it until it is suitable.

The regs don't tell you what is or what is not suitable, you need to source that info from somewhere else.

E.G Corgi core gas safety...Viper...British Standards etc etc

As you say John its in the corgi book twice about sweeping found it in the ninety four regs but cant see it in the ninty eight ones, not to say it isn`t there. Just going by questions answer. Which may be wrong . But as we all know gas regs and manufacturers instuctions both over rule corgi. Meeting corgi guy next week will ask him to clarify .

5.1.8 Existing chimneys and other flue systems
5.1.8.1 Suitability and adopting
Any existing chimney or flue which is to be used shall conform to the requirements of 5.1.1, 5.1.2, 5.1.3,
5.1.4, 5.1.5, 5.1.6 and 5.1.7 and be fit for the purpose intended and be of sound construction. Where such a
chimney or flue is known to have given unsatisfactory performance with a previous appliance or fuel, it
shall be examined and any faults rectified and, if necessary, in the case of a masonry or unlined brick
chimney, the chimney shall be lined.

5.1.8.2 Obstructions, connections, sweeping and sealing
Any register plates, restrictor plates or dampers shall be removed or permanently secured in the open
position to leave the main part of the flueway unobstructed.
Under-grate air ducts shall be closed and sealed.
The appliance shall be connected directly into the flue and not via any previous fuel burning appliance. The
latter shall be removed.
The chimney or flue shall be swept unless the previous appliance was a gas appliance.
Only one gas appliance shall be connected to the chimney or flue. Any other openings e.g. vents and soot
box doors shall be permanently sealed with materials no less substantial than those of which the chimney
or flue is constructed.
Where the appliance is not fitted at the bottom of the chimney or flue, that portion of the flue below the
appliance shall be sealed at a position not less than the 250 mm and not more than 1 m below the point of
connection and means shall be provided which enable debris to be removed (see Figure 11).
COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 5.1.8.2.
When fitting any new appliance to an existing chimney, consideration should be given to sweeping the flue.
The following factors will determine whether to sweep the flue.
a) If the immediately previous use of the chimney has been for a solid fuel appliance, the chimney may
have accumulated soot deposits which could be corrosive to any proposed metal liner, or be causing some
blockage and the flue should be swept. Where a gas appliance has been used previously, this is less likely.
b) All existing chimneys, irrespective of the fuel used, may have been constructed without a properly clear
flueway or, especially if they have been out of service for a long period of time, may have become obstructed
by wildlife, bird’s nests, spider’s webs etc. Sweeping is one way of ensuring an unobstructed flue. It may
not reveal any holes, lack of integrity or discontinuities in the flue.
The effects of other flues in the same room (including through lounges) should be considered. Where there is
more than one gas appliance the heat output of both appliances should be similar and their flues should
terminate at the same height, preferably close together so that they are subjected to the same wind conditions.

That will teach you

:evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back