re-new gas fire living flame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, my Son came yesterday, and has had a new gas fire , living flame fitted into new surround by gas safe engineer, from shop.
He's replaced a one with Pebbles in.
My living flame one, with immitation coals was on, and my flames are all Blue, coals get red, like the real thing,it's 20 years old and serviced regular.
HIS flames are yellow??
and so they were with the old one.???

What colour should they be.??
He rang the shop yesterday, they said" MY" blue flames were not right, all the ones in their shop are yellow.?
He's getting the fitter back,he gave gas safe certificate of fitting.
Didn't mention a carbon monoxide detector.
or where air is coming from.(air brick) etc.My son doesn't have an air brick in the room.
Appreciate some advice please.
Especially what colour a flame burning correct should be?
cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Depends on the fire some will be blue with coals/peebles glowing others are designed for flames to pass up through the coals /Peebles and these will be yellow . majority of fires do not need any other form of additional ventilation and its not down to installer to provide a CO detector although be good business to sell you one they are not a requirement yet

Depends on the fire some will be blue with coals/peebles glowing others are designed for flames to pass up through the coals /Peebles and these will be yellow . majority of fires do not need any other form of additional ventilation and its not down to installer to provide a CO detector although be good business to sell you one they are not a requirement yet
Thanks G, really appreciate that.
His manual states it should turn white/yellow after 30 mins, if blue, lack or too much air, or coals?
mine has always stayed blue.
I guessed newer models may change!
The fitter has not even returned his calls.
He should have mentioned a monoxide detector!
There again, Son should have known!
He,s got one today
I thought the law changed requiring one per appliance just a few weeks ago.or is due to soon?
Read it in the paper?
So, no hard and fast rule then!
Should he have been given a certificate?
Cheers.

When did you last have a service and safety check carried out on your own fire? Maybe time to get that sorted?
CO Detectors are only currently mandatory with woodburners, not with gas fires, although it's always advisable to have one with a gas fire
Your installer will almost certainly register the installation online so you'll get a certificate in a couple of weeks

Sponsored Links
When did you last have a service and safety check carried out on your own fire? Maybe time to get that sorted?
CO Detectors are only currently mandatory with woodburners, not with gas fires, although it's always advisable to have one with a gas fire
Your installer will almost certainly register the installation online so you'll get a certificate in a couple of weeks
Hi muggles, mine is serviced every year, with the boiler, due next month,although, I rarely use mine,ch on all day and it,s in a room rarely used.
I also take the coals out etc ,and Hoover them all and clean the base, checking all as holes are clear, every 3 months or so,as it,s an open chimney!
Cheers!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back