Gas fire flame question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wanted to ask if anyone knows much about the type of gas fire which has coals above the flames. The one my parents have has huge yellow flames which reach the very top of the fire and lick into the opening to the flue. Also when the main burner ignites from the pilot, it catches with a whoosh and almost takes your eyebrows away.

The coals are being consumed by the huge yellow flames very fast, leaving carbon all over the burner in big wads, and the yellow flames are coating all the fire above the coals with soot.

From the bit I've learnt at work, I would think the gas pressure is too high or not enough air is premixing with the burner gas to explain it. Would that be right?

Incidentally, they're not sure if the fire was advertised as running on LPG although here it is on a bottle of butane. As far as I know, LPG is a mix of propane and butane, so the operating pressure and thus the burner jet must be different to operate on just butane I assume?

Sponsored Links
Please get someone gassafe registered (with an LPG ticket) to have a look at the fire before you use it again. One for the professionals I think.

Please get someone gassafe registered (with an LPG ticket) to have a look at the fire before you use it again. One for the professionals I think.

Take it you're not a proffesional then. Don't recognise a troll :)

I dont deal with Gas fires as i think they have no place in a modern home....
But please take Mrgassafes advise and get someone in with the LPG ticket..

Put your postcode into the gas safe website and the engineers names will come up and it will show you what they are legaly ticketed to service and fix........

At a guess i am going to say the jets are not set up for your lpg and will need adjusting/changing....

But please get someone in to look at it..

Fires not set up correctly will kill people....

Sponsored Links
This is in Spain where there are no gassafe or other schemes operating. The fire is just about knackered from the effects of the wrong gas by the looks of it, so will have to be changed anyway.

Checked the fire and it is labelled for LPG at 37mB but is currently running on butane at 28mB. More than anything, it's got me interested in the theory. Why is butane regulated to 28mB whereas propane/LPG is at around 37mB?

Are burner jets sized depending on how much flow is required, and then the design for mixing with air adjusted to match that jet size and flow rate? I would ask the gas muppets at work these questions, but getting onto the gassafe register for them was a case of learning how not to blow things up or asphyxiate people with CO. Deeper questions like these they can't answer.

Unfortunately, we cannot give advice that might encourage someone to do DIY gas work as that can be very dangerous for someone who is unqualified or inexperienced.

That type of fire is particularly dangerous as they are designed to be installed and commissioned by a qualified engineer who can set it up properly and ensure the fire and flue are operating correctly and safely.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back