Yellow flickers in gas fire flame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello experts:

I shall try to be brief, but I want to give all the facts behind my question.

Our living room is heated by a Misermatic gas fire, which serves us very well. Every summer, I take it apart and clean it. The row of burners, I used to immerse in water, but the steel started to rust, so now, I just knock it, to shake out fine debris, if any, from the gas outlets. I did this last August, and hoped that the yellow flames would not appear, as they did before I started to do this. However, since the fire has been used (only about three months after my home "service"), I notice the following:

1) When it starts to burn, occasional long, yellow flame leap up. They are only momentary, but I don't like this at all.

2) When the burning has "settled down" (after about a minute or so), the flame is a healthy blue colour, but still, tiny yellow flames appear occasionally. These are not long, as the first flames are and sometimes, there are longish periods when the flame looks OK for several minutes.

The gas fire was professionally serviced twelve years ago, but my question is: what would/could a professional do that I cannot do, with regard to the crucial matter of cleaning the tube that contains the actual burners? I have applied a powerful suction vacuum cleaner to the burners, after taking out the radiants only a week ago, but the occasional yellow flickers still appear. I am not unwilling to spend money on a professional service, but it seems to me that he could only clean the burners, as I have done. By the way, the radiants themselves are dunked in water every year, to keep them as clean as possible.

With thanks in advance for any helpful comments also, importantly, for answering my question.
L.L

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
2) When the burning has "settled down" (after about a minute or so), the flame is a healthy blue colour, but still, tiny yellow flames appear occasionally. These are not long, as the first flames are and sometimes, there are longish periods when the flame looks OK for several minutes.

That is just the collected dust and dirt burning off initially - it will continue occasionally, while ever it is lit, as more dust is drawn into the flame. All perfectly normal. Of much more concern, would be a constant yellow tinge to the flame, or soot forming.

Professional service would include a flue flow/ spillage test working pressure and general strip down service.
Thanks, Cross Thread. Ideally, that would be the thing to do every year. However, I need to watch the expenditure, so as long as there is no obvious malfunctioning, I shall wait. I still don't know, though, how the technician would get a clean blue flame, apart from doing what I am able to do with the suction vac. That was my main concern.
L.L.

That is just the collected dust and dirt burning off initially - it will continue occasionally, while ever it is lit, as more dust is drawn into the flame. All perfectly normal. Of much more concern, would be a constant yellow tinge to the flame, or soot forming.
Harry, thanks a lot! You have said, clearly and specifically, exactly what I needed to know.
L.L.

Or find something else to worry about, that is how they are designed to operate
I couldn't help noting the dismissive tone, Ian. (To me, it seemed like a perfectly reasonable concern of mine.) I find it hard to understand why the makers would design it to have yellow flames of any description, big or small. I shall take your comment as being code for "This is perfectly normal and there is nothing to be concerned about."
L.L.

I couldn't help noting the dismissive tone, Ian. (To me, it seemed like a perfectly reasonable concern of mine.) I find it hard to understand why the makers would design it to have yellow flames of any description
Ian is a very knowledgeable and respected poster. Live fuel effect and decorative fuel effect fires tend to have yellow flames, a design feature of the gas fire.

A good flame picture is one thing ,flue pull / integrity / spillage is a major part of a service and safety.

Reactions: CBW
Ian is a very knowledgeable and respected poster. Live fuel effect and decorative fuel effect fires tend to have yellow flames, a design feature of the gas fire.
Yes, now you mention this, CBW, I remember that this is the case. However, in the original posting, I did mention that the fire I was referring to is a Misermatic and that it has radiants.
L.L.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
A good flame picture is one thing ,flue pull / integrity / spillage is a major part of a service and safety.
Yes Cross Thread. I do think about the flue pull (spider webs and other junk could reduce it, I suppose). That's why, about twelve years ago, I finally had it fully serviced by a professional. This was the first ever time it had been tested in the 28 years since the heater was first installed, and the smoke-test showed that it was OK, after all those years. Perhaps I am too optimistic, but the flue is not causing me any concern yet, after only twelve years. Perhaps next summer...
L.L.

Thanks, Cross Thread. Ideally, that would be the thing to do every year. However, I need to watch the expenditure, so as long as there is no obvious malfunctioning, I shall wait. I still don't know, though, how the technician would get a clean blue flame, apart from doing what I am able to do with the suction vac. That was my main concern.
L.L.
you do realise a jackdaw can fill a chimney with twigs in the matter of weeks birds /Squirrels quite often build nests in chimneys something as simple as spiders cobwebs can stop a chimney pulling not mention other debri etc that falls down . And as your not able to get it to burn properly your obviously missing something very basic ,
But dont worry its only been 12 years ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back