How can I ensure the flame is blue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, heating experts. In our living room is a Gas Miser gas fire (5 radiants). When this fire is on, I notice that, at the bottom of the radiants, though the flame is mostly blue, occasional "flashes" of yellow flame leap up. In years gone by, after a long time without cleaning the fire, longer yellow flames would produce smoke that discoloured the radiants (in any case, it was obvious that the burning was not right). Occasionally, I would take out the metal tube (the one that feeds gas to the radiants) and wash it under a tap, which seemed to cure it. However, the metal started to show rust, so I stopped doing this.

What must I do to avoid yellow flames appearing, without rusting the gas-burner tube? I have tried applying a powerful suction-hose to the top of this tube (where the holes are, that emit gas to the radiants), but the yellow "flashes" still tend to appear. I would not want them to become more frequent, or to lick the actual radiants. Is it normal to see yellow flashes of flame, and is there anything else that can be done to ensure a totally clean, blue flame underneath the radiants?

Thanks in advance, for any helpful replies.
A.W.

Sponsored Links
Hi, heating experts. In our living room is a Gas Miser gas fire (5 radiants). When this fire is on, I notice that, at the bottom of the radiants, though the flame is mostly blue, occasional "flashes" of yellow flame leap up. In years gone by, after a long time without cleaning the fire, longer yellow flames would produce smoke that discoloured the radiants (in any case, it was obvious that the burning was not right). Occasionally, I would take out the metal tube (the one that feeds gas to the radiants) and wash it under a tap, which seemed to cure it. However, the metal started to show rust, so I stopped doing this.

What must I do to avoid yellow flames appearing, without rusting the gas-burner tube? I have tried applying a powerful suction-hose to the top of this tube (where the holes are, that emit gas to the radiants), but the yellow "flashes" still tend to appear. I would not want them to become more frequent, or to lick the actual radiants. Is it normal to see yellow flashes of flame, and is there anything else that can be done to ensure a totally clean, blue flame underneath the radiants?

Thanks in advance, for any helpful replies.
A.W.
Have it serviced

Like any other gas appliance, it needs serviced by a GSR once a year to ensure it is working properly.

Sponsored Links
Fire MUST be serviced every year...

Is it orange, which is just rust particles burning off. A gently tap on the side of the fire will confirm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back