Yellow flames from burner

If the cast iron heat exchanger is leaking then it is the end of life of the boiler.

All these problems demonstrate how important it is to have boilers regularly serviced so any problems are dealt with at the earliest opportunity.

So you can push a 7mm rod through a hole?

A lot of these boilers are removed and scrapped. If only there was a way to correlate when someone needed obsolete parts!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,
Yes a 5mm rod would probably be able to be pushed through the hole in the top of the burner (the bit where the flames come out). possibly 7mm. Is that bad bad?

I assume signs of water in the bottom of the boiler when cold would indicate a leaking heat exchanger or would we need to trace where that water was coming from first?
Thanks

Last edited:
But all I can say is that I would expect to be able to cure it.

All I can say is that I am so confident that I could cure it, that if you were local, I would come to you on a no fix/no fee basis!

Tony
:)

If there is a hole that size then the flame shape would probably be badly wrong.

It would also be wrong for any engineer to leave it working but I am surprised you said he cleaned it as if there was no hole!

Any leaking HE is the end of the boiler but on startup there can be condensate dripping off the HE.

Tony

Sponsored Links
He hasnt left it working - its fully switchied off at the main valve. He cleaned it and tried it but i think somewhere after cleaning the corroded section must have burnt through or fallen through so now the hole remains.

Just to clarify, I assume there would be signs of water in the bottom of the boiler when cold which would indicate a leaking heat exchanger or would we need to trace where that water was coming from first?
Thanks

Some boilers leak when hot only and others only when cold, or all the time.

I don't think yours has been leaking. When they do they usually make a very corroded mark on the burner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back