Replacement boiler needed as "burner is worn"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my fathers house has an old ideal Mexico boiler. It's extremely reliable. The annual boiler service was done by a local firm who charge £108 for the service and check and always change the thermo couple every year. This always seems a little expense, but they always come when asked ect. Anyway. This time they have said the boiler is getting near the end of its life and could do with changing as "the burner is getting very worn"

I have searched on burner wear and can find nothing. The boiler has no moving parts as such, so can anyone explain what this means or are they trying it on, do they mean the gas burner flame tube is getting thin? How goes a gas burner wear.

Can't seem to find any new burners sold as spares. Any advice great fully received?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dont think they are trying it on as they have seen it not us.

May just be the seal at the back gone brittle, I used to buy a sheet of gasket and make my own, but there could be a chance that the burner has split or a spot weld has come apart.

Sponsored Links
I think the burners are obsolete as a spare part.

But if there was anything seriously wrong with the boiler then they would have turned it off.

I suspect it probably could carry on for a good few years.

However, it is old and pretty inefficient. A modern condensing boiler could probably save up to 30% on the gas bill.

It could well be financially advantageous to replace it if the gas bill is very high.

Tony

Agree with all above the Mexico while a reliable old beast is very much obsolete, and pretty inefficient by modern standards.
Burners do "wear out" not from any moving parts as such but they will in time corrode either on the burner surface it's self or the fine internal mesh, gaskets and seals will fail after a time.
As said they would have switched it off if they thought it dangerous but it may well be on the way out.
Make use of the time to shop around for a new boiler while it is still working, so you are not stuck in the middle of winter when it fails and no part is available and you are forced into a distress purchase from whoever can do it quickest, usually the ones who can come in at short notice to fit a new boiler are perhaps not the best installers.

I repaired one recently and after cleaning the burner I did an FGA for fun on it and was surprised just how cleanly it burnt !

Of course mostly because of all the excess air which has to be heated and contributes to it's low efficiency.

I did find a machine that vibrates hidden behind a Biasi boiler which I was removing to replace it with an Intergas.

Did offer to lend it to a lady friend but she said it was so large that it frightened her!

Also used it as a prop when I did my nativity sketch at the comedy club last Christmas!

I bet the audience were buzzin'.

I heard one asked what is that Penis doing on the stage.

Why on earth would you keep a vibrator you found in a customers house!
Perv i suppose like many ex BBC employees

I suspect it probably could carry on for a good few years.
How can you possibly say that?
You havnt seen it, we know that for certain because he was charged £108.

Burners often corrode/rust

Did offer to lend it to a lady friend but she said it was so large that it frightened her!
So you offered a woman a vibrator that had previously been used???...are you taking the pizz?
Since when has carrying out a combustion analysis been fun?

So you offered a woman a vibrator that had previously been used???...are you taking the pizz?
Since when has carrying out a combustion analysis been fun?
Just another thing in his Mary popins bag

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back