orange/yellow gas flame sometimes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sometimes my gas appliences burn with a orange/yellow flame as in the picture attached. Now I'm pretty sure it's not a fault with my appliance's as when this happens all appliences do it at the same time.

All four burners on the cooker and the central heating boiler burn orange/yellow at the same time...

Is this a regulater fault or is my gas supply contaminated in some way? Sometime the cooker burners seem to have 's lower flame output to...making me think I'm loosing pressure...will a lose in presure turn my flame orange/yellow?

Sponsored Links
THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS! TURN EVERYTHING OFF!

A yellow flame means carbon monoxide is being produced, which can kill you. Get everything looked at by a professional ASAP and do not use any of your appliances until this has been done

Like I said I suspect my appliances are fine as its all ok today...its just sometimes maybe once or twice a week I notice the colour change...all 4 cooker burners and central heating boiler.....can't say I've noticed this on the gas fire,but this has yellow flames as an effect.

Other than my connected appliances what else could cause this?

I am aware of carbone monoxide poisening etc.

:confused:

Just want a heads up so I'm not fobbed off with work that does not need doing, like cleaning my cooker jets etc.

Are you also aware that carbon monoxide builds up in your blood, and so repeated exposure to low levels is still very dangerous, hence the advice not to use your appliances again everything has been put right?

Why do you think you'll be fobbed off? Have you, by any chance, been watching Rogue Traders too much? I'd expect to do a full safety check of the entire system, including servicing appliances where appropriate and yes, if necessary, cleaning your cooker jets. It could be your regulator but it might be something else

Sponsored Links
I have an extractor fan over the cooker that vents straight outside..and I can also open the window situated 1meter to the right of it...I could also open the kitchen door if felt the need to.....I have a carbone monoxide sensor fitted near boiler and kitchen to hallway exits too, as an extra precaution :D

I probably be worse off sat in city center rush hour traffic :mrgreen:

will a gas engineer check the regulator and meter or do I need to contact my energy supplier for that.

I do watch rouge traders yes, even fully qualified engineers can do a crap job, or charge you for not faults found. I know there not all like that thank god.

I'm trying to avoid all this be getting a heads up or just confirming my diagnosis of some kind of suppy fault.

like I say its all ok for now, very intermittant. As per me now working pic

Without being there to test it, I can't say whether it's a supply fault or something else. Get an RGI out. I wonder how many times I have to say this...actually, I'm not going to bother to say it again, up to you what you do

Thanks anyway...let's hope the fault is there when he/she arrives.

As muggles mentions, if this issue is common across all the appliances then the whole system needs to be checked, everything, right back to the meter, for tightness etc. It may be difficult for the RGI to trace if it only happens rarely.

As far as being fobbed off with unnecessary work, all that could be suggested is that you employ an RGI that is recommended to you.

It may just be a failed meter regulator (Donkin etc). Looks too higher burner pressure coupled with the rust burning off.

Call the network operator on 0800 111 999 and get it checked for free.

Don't live near the sea and no nebulisers?

Could it be my noxious farts causing this phenomenon?

Hi

Sometimes my gas appliences burn with a orange/yellow flame as in the picture attached. Now I'm pretty sure it's not a fault with my appliance's as when this happens all appliences do it at the same time.

All four burners on the cooker and the central heating boiler burn orange/yellow at the same time...

Is this a regulater fault or is my gas supply contaminated in some way? Sometime the cooker burners seem to have 's lower flame output to...making me think I'm loosing pressure...will a lose in presure turn my flame orange/yellow?

Second picture is a classic "Baumatic" wet / badly fitted burner .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back