Moving House

J

Johnmelad502

I move to a new property on Monday. BT have arranged to disconnect this number and connect the new line at the new (new to me) house free of charge as they do not need to visit.

Went to the new property today with landlord and discovered that there is a line into the property but the wires are not connected - no box -

BT now want to charge me £150 to send an engineer out.

Can I not do this myself? If so, how?

Sponsored Links
You are not meant to touch the pre master socket wiring but lots of people do anyway.

Unfortunately you have already told BT which may raise eybrows if you then tell them that you have found the socket after all......

You are not meant to touch the pre master socket wiring but lots of people do anyway.

Unfortunately you have already told BT which may raise eybrows if you then tell them that you have found the socket after all......

I'll tell them that the landlord pointed me in the wrong direction. Appreciate it if anyone can tell me what I need and what to do.

I move on Sunday and don't want withdrawal symptoms from not having my broadband. :LOL:

I move on Sunday and don't want withdrawal symptoms from not having my broadband. :LOL:
Then get yourself a mobile broadband stick or something, sorting out phone and broadband to a new property can be pretty time consuming :(.

You need to get hold of a NTE5, preferablly an old BT branded one (out of a skip or so)

What color wires are in the cable that is hanging out of the wall?

Sponsored Links
bt_master_socket_2.jpg

It's the landlords responsibility to make sure that all services work.

£150??? Why don't the regulators act against them?

It's the landlords responsibility to make sure that all services work.

£150??? Why don't the regulators act against them?
Because they have to recover the money they spend repairing their own aged network, which they cant charge to anyone else! They cant put up line rental, because people now have a choice and can vote with their feet! I dont understand why BT cant charge the likes of TalkTalk etc for using their network and thus pass on their repair charges to them as well. I dont see Talktalk repairing BT's network, on which it piggybacks. :rolleyes:

It certainly does seem a strange situation that BT have been put in.
As i understand it the trunk network is no longer BT, but Openreach. (yes, i know we would class them as same company). Where does the crossover occur on the networks between BT and Openreach?
Do Openreach charge the likes of TalkTalk for services?
I understand that it is Openreach that earns the major bucks these days.

You could of course say to BT seeing as there ought to be a box they pursue the previous occupants for their property back and provide you with a box for free. Failing that get yourself any old master socket connect the i/c to terminals 2 and 5 or if an nte5 the a and b on the rear of the backplate as a temp measure to get you working . and then argue the toss with bt.

It certainly does seem a strange situation that BT have been put in.
As i understand it the trunk network is no longer BT, but Openreach. (yes, i know we would class them as same company). Where does the crossover occur on the networks between BT and Openreach?
Do Openreach charge the likes of TalkTalk for services?
I understand that it is Openreach that earns the major bucks these days.

Openreach are a BT company. They do the engineering works required on the network and exchanges. They will charge BT wholesale and all others suppliers such as TalkTalk, XLN etc for installs. Note, they do still charge BT.

When they where originally forced to split, BT Openreach used to give preferential treatment to BT Wholesale with regards timescale of installs and fault rectification. They where repremanded for this as it became very obvious.

You do have some issues at times with telecom providers and ADSL providers (inc BT) as they will have to pay BT Openreach to locate faults. This mainly applies to ADSL where you have intermittent issues or a really poor sync speed. They will only authorise an hour of BT Openreaches time, and after this the eng needs authorisation to continue.

And what if I have broadband by one provider and phone by another, and both break? Who pays then?! :LOL:

And what if I have broadband by one provider and phone by another, and both break? Who pays then?! :LOL:
Depends on what and where the fault is,faulty end users equipment,you pay,faulty network no one pays,openreach would have to pay compensation if the line is not fixed within a set time,(one days compensation wipes out a whole years line rental,service providers do not pay b.t anywhere near the amount they charge for line rental ,hence the reason openreach have to charge so much.)

well what sort of business model is that? BT should charge these "sub-suppliers" that use their network, a fair amount, at least half of the consumer's line rental (£5/month).

well what sort of business model is that? BT should charge these "sub-suppliers" that use their network, a fair amount, at least half of the consumer's line rental (£5/month).
The price is controlled by ofcom,they are limited as to what they can charge a service provider E.G BT CHARGE JOE BLOGGS COMMS £2 PER MONTH LINE RENTAL,THEY CHARGE THE END USER £12,IF THE LINE GOES FAULTY B.T HAVE TO PAY JOE BLOGGS COMMS £5 PER DAY COMPENSATION FOR EVERYDAY ITS OFF AFTER A SET TIME(SET BY REGULATORS).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back