Extending phone wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after being with virgin media for a year we are moving back to BT for phone and broadband. The old BT line was (physically) cut by me last year as it was in the way of my new garage. It's still there, coiled up halfway up the external wall but probably won't now reach to a suitable place in the house. Will BT sort this out foc? There's already a splice in the wire after a previous repair so it would be a matter of about 6m of new wire from this connector run into the house and connected to the existing linebox. The deal we have actually included a free new line if required (but their system identified that we already had one). If not I'll try and get a bit of wire and do it myself.

Thanks.
IMG_20180209_121813917.jpg

Sponsored Links
Basically if its before the nte5 internal connection box its illegal for you to touch it. Personally i would leave it when the engineer comes to provide/connect i believe they will fix it for free as you are returning back to BT Retail.

I don’t think it will be fixed for free. As you are an ex BT customer the assumption is the line is there good to go. If they have to do work to reinstate they will probably charge you.

The engineers tend to be friendly, so have a couple of bottle to hand, and see what you can negotiate. Whilst BT would undoubtably charge for the job, engineers tend to be more forgiving, and may put it down as a faulty connection.

Sponsored Links
And we pay line rental ......for .....? ....if it's their line ....get them to sort it !

And we pay line rental ......for .....? ....if it's their line ....get them to sort it !

But as an ex customer the line was installed and assumed working. Line rental does not cover you for damaging the in feed and then expecting it fixed free of charge.

Like mentioned you might find the engineer puts it down as faulty wiring so no charge is applied and you can also try and claim igronance and that it must of been damaged by workers etc.

People who expect free of charge for something they have caused are a contributing factor to price rises. If you damage or cut something expect to pay for it, if you don’t get charged count yourself lucky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back