splicing cable into phone wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Whilst fitting a new front door we have uncovered the telephone wiring between the junction box where the drop line enters the house and the linebox. Unfortunately the previous pvc installers have managed to encase the wire in a tonne of mastic meaning a) it wont go back from whence it came and b) we cant remove the mastic without damaging the cable.

The wire is stripped of its insulation in places so i while the phone works currently Im not convinced how long the line will stay alive for.

Im guessing it would be a simple enough job for me to cut the wire above and below the mess and splice in a new piece via a junction box or similiar. However as its before the linebox im assuming its still BT's property so they may not like me doing this. (i've booked them to visit on sat but they want to charge £113 just to come out)

What sort of line do they tend to take on people doing this sort of repair? Am I likely to find myself in hot water if they come out at a later date and find my handiwork?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you can cut it and move it then move & refit the line box on the end (if here is enough cable) then they are not going to know what has been done.

Thats if you can ensure that you get it wired exactly the same. ;)

squeekykilt";p="1073617 said:
Hi,

Whilst fitting a new front door we have uncovered the telephone wiring between the junction box where the drop line enters the house and the linebox. Unfortunately the previous pvc installers have managed to encase the wire in a tonne of mastic meaning a) it wont go back from whence it came and b) we cant remove the mastic without damaging the cable.

The wire is stripped of its insulation in places so i while the phone works currently Im not convinced how long the line will stay alive for.

Im guessing it would be a simple enough job for me to cut the wire above and below the mess and splice in a new piece via a junction box or similiar. However as its before the linebox im assuming its still BT's property so they may not like me doing this. (i've booked them to visit on sat but they want to charge £113 just to come out)

What sort of line do they tend to

Don't worry just cut the cable, it will be drop-wire if it comes over head... this will have 3 yellow guide wires in it so is hard to cut. Chop it and get an external joint box. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/-external-tel...ItemQQimsxZ20081119?IMSfp=TL081119136001r9138 here's the kind of thing you need... then take a new BLACK 3 or 4 pair telephone cable into where you want it and terminate it on your existing BT socket... simple job... just reconnect the same wires... any probs send me a mail.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Hi Dazfast,

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately the BT man beat us to it and came out before I got your reply and hence I missed the opportunity to do the work myself. He basically did exactly what you suggested for me to do though! Never mind at least I know for the next time!

might have been cheaper to get a virginmedia line.

i have reported a line fault to bt in the past and asked then to let me know if the fault is internal or external. They have sent an engineer (with out me requesting one) who asked for access to run a test and then traced the fault to a lose wire in their primary nte5 junction box. They then tried to charge me for it until I explained that the work was unsolicited.

i wanted to know if the fault was network or not before wasting my own time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back