upstairs phone socket

I wouldn't take that as gospel. I know someone who was told that BT had no record of a BT phone line to his property dispite the fact he knew there had been and the fact that the physical cable was still present.

The OP's mystery pair could have been for something other than domestic phone service and would therefore not appear in records of phones at the premises.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps bt are just saying that there has never been 2 numbers so I pay £125 to ge another line put in?

Thanks

You have certainly had to lines at these premises ,bt records like any records can be wrong, I bet my bottom dollar that the green/black is connected to the exchange but is a ceased line with no voltage......if you want to get the upsatirs line working as a extension post back as it will be straight forward.

You have certainly had to lines at these premises ,bt records like any records can be wrong, I bet my bottom dollar that the green/black is connected to the exchange but is a ceased line with no voltage......if you want to get the upsatirs line working as a extension post back as it will be straight forward.

What voltage, if any, should there be upstairs?
Yes please, would be nice to have the upstairs working.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
You wont get any voltage as its not working but a standard telephone line has 50v,to get your upstairs working here is how to do it.......................on the connection point where the wires come in take off the green/black ,then the 2 wires going upstairs bridge onto 2 spare wires going to the downstairs socket ( poss white with orange hoops and orange with white hoops) using a krone tool then open the downstairs socket and take off the front plate and connect the same two wires to ports 5 and 2....if you have had 2 lines which I suspect you have then your upstairs socket with be a nte5 so wont need a bell wire........this configuration will be ok for speech but if you are getting adsl may give you some problems with 2 master sockets on the line...try this and make sure it works ok for speech and if you are getting adsl post back

The wires from bt go into a box, there are no screw connecters, the wires are crimped with little plastic joiners.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back