How do I wire alarm to virgin Broadband line?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an alarm which dials out via a BT line and is thus wired into a BT socket.

I am now looking to change to a
Virgin Broadband line. The socket is here already as I use to be with Virgin. The problem is I don’t know how to wire into the socket.

Given the lockdown the guy who fit my alarm is not currently working.

Is there any diagrams or YouTube videos which show how to do this? I am struggling to find one specific to this situation.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I have the same, it is hardwired, but phone sockets are fairly easy and there is a standard plug, and cables are available ready-terminated. Can you photograph the socket you plan to use? And the wire that goes into your current phone connection?

There is a fair chance that the wire plugs into your alarm system (inside the casing) and at the socket it is treated as an extension. Your socket may have a removable part-cover.

New connections on Virgin no longer use the separate phone line. They use VOIP with a phone connection to the router.

Check the other post about Virgin, just below this.

I have the same, it is hardwired, but phone sockets are fairly easy and there is a standard plug, and cables are available ready-terminated. Can you photograph the socket you plan to use? And the wire that goes into your current phone connection?

There is a fair chance that the wire plugs into your alarm system (inside the casing) and at the socket it is treated as an extension. Your socket may have a removable part-cover.
Please see pics below of alarm wire and the old Virgin connection box:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
New connections on Virgin no longer use the separate phone line. They use VOIP with a phone connection to the router.

Check the other post about Virgin, just below this.
This then leads to another problem- the old Virgin router was set upstairs.... this will be fine re plugging the phone into it but does it mean I need to run the alarm wire into the router direct?

The router only has one active phone socket, so you would need an adaptor for the alarm and the phone.

You must make sure that your alarm signalling is compatible with a VOIP line. This is becoming a general issue now as all phone services are switching over to VOIP. I believe that the alarm experts here are familiar with this issue, so they may be able to advise.

Just a hint re your Virgin installation. Since there has previously been a Virgin connection, when you sign up they will send you a self-install kit to connect to the existing broadband point. If you would prefer to have the router somewhere else, insist on an engineer installation so you can have the router and TV box put where you want them. It will be difficult to get them moved later and will cost you £99.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back