telephone line extention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help me .i have just switched from BT to virgin for my telephone line and I had a socket in another part of the house which my home alarm used to contact me if activated That socket is of course now dead Have looked at GSM connections with my alarm but seems problematic.
I would like to get this extension live The wire to it still goes into the BT box which is only a foot or so from the Virgin router
This router has 2 female telephone sockets for phones etc.

Would it be possible to cut the old extension wire and splice it to a piece of telephne cable with a male socket plug it in and get my extenstion back

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with a router ...as virgin use coax for router and tv , do you now have a virgin telephone line ?and a master socket ?

Hi out of the router is a female telephone jack plug to connect home telephone into with a spare along side The router is connected with that different cable to the box outside

Thanks

Most new virgin installs now use voice over cable which is like voip they do not install a phone line over copper pair (area dependant) the phone connects to the super hub 3. You can back feed into a master socket tho and utilise the extensions.

Sponsored Links
sorry you have lost me If I join a normal telephone extentioncable ino the jack plug and plug a telephone into it it works If I run that extension cable to my alarm it also works All i want to do is join the original cable that runs under the floor into a male jack plug and it will be an extension again.

Yea I got what you meant. If it’s already connected to the existing telco cabling you can run out of the virgin router to the master socket and back feed the telco so it will work as it did when it was BT or you can put a connector on your cable going under the floor and connect straight into the router. Then just use a splitter so you can have the phone and alarm on together.

thanks but what i need to know is if i cut the original bt cable to the extention off from the openreach box and get a male plug with some cable attached can i spice the individual wires together and the original cable will then be able to be plugged in to the router port for the telephone.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back