Virgin installer cut bt line?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had virgin bb, tv and telephone installed, they removed the bt master socket, and replaced it with their own branded one.

In the process I thought they left the bt wires available should i want to return to them in the future. Instead i found that they cut the BT wire between it being attached to my house and where it enters the house (the wire runs from the roof down the front then into the property).

Can virgin do this to the BT line?

Sponsored Links
Looks like i'll be on the phone to virgin tonight then.. Think BT charge £130 if i dont take a years phone package with them to reconnect it...

Virgin are not allowed to touch BT stuff at all - totally different network. They should install their socket beside the BT one, so that as you say, when you want to use a BT-based provider in the future you dont have to pay to have it reinstalled.

Sponsored Links
Virgin are not allowed to touch BT stuff at all - totally different network. They should install their socket beside the BT one, so that as you say, when you want to use a BT-based provider in the future you dont have to pay to have it reinstalled.

Agreed - they should not be touching anything that isn't on their network and BT will charge if you or anyone else wants reconnecting at a later stage (which they wouldn't if the wiring existed).

This thread prompted me to have a look at our telephone wiring and luckly VM have left the BT socket connected. They also kindly rewired our extension network back into the VM socket.

This thread prompted me to have a look at our telephone wiring as we've had Virgin Media for some 18 months now. VM installed a new box adjacent to the BT master socket, but kindly removed the wiring from the BT box into their own. The BT box is basically wall clutter!! Ummm. How should have VM done the install properly? Taken a feed from the front port of the BT box into their own

Virgin Should Not Have Touched Any Of The BT stuff. It's NOT THEIR EQUIPMENT

Hope you stay with Virgin because it'll cost you more for the new BT installation

Virgin Should Not Have Touched Any Of The BT stuff. It's NOT THEIR EQUIPMENT

Hope you stay with Virgin because it'll cost you more for the new BT installation

After posting that I went and checked again as obviously VM don't use the BT line so thought it strange. What I mistook for the incoming BT line was actually the VM line. My BT socket is fine and so edited my above post. Shame you were so quick to reply ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back