Moving internal doorway - question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a need to move an internal doorway between my kitchen and hallway approx 12". House is a link detached 1970s building

Now this is a solid brick wall so i am trying to ascertain whether or not it is a supporting wall and whether i need to use some acro props, or whether i can just remove the plaster, brick up one side, cut other side out.
I suspect that there will be a lintel of some sort to support the doorway that will need to be replaced, but am inclined to think that its not "holding up the rest of the house !" as i have recently installed some sunken halogen lights in the hallway so i can confirm that the joists for upstairs run parallel to this wall.

All walls upstairs or plasterboard/stud walls...no bricks in any upstairs walls.

Can anyone advise please

many thanks in advance.

Sean

Sponsored Links
if the joists rest on the wall, and said wall does not carry on past first floor level, then you may just need to prop the ceiling joists. a single acro with a chunk of wood, creating a 'T', will suffice for a door opening.

you will probably need to remove most of the masonry above the intended door opening and a fair bit above the existing too. this is due to the fact that it will either fall down or be shook to bits anyhow.

remove the 12" of masonry also.

you will end up with a larger than required opening. this entire opening, which will now be about 44" wide, can be spanned with a single pcc builders lintel.

re-build the masonry above the lintel and remove props once the mortar has set.

you can now stud the opening down to the intended size or brick it up. if you do brick it up, make sure you tie the masonry in well to the existing wall or else it may fracture if the door is slammed too hard. ;)

Thanks for the reply noseall

I plan to get the floor boards up upstairs this weekend so that i can have a proper look at the top of the wall to see if just what exactly is resting upon it.

I'll post my findings on Sunday evening

Sean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back