Moving internal wall attached to chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moving internal wall attached to chimney

I have a chimney column(double brick) in the middle of my house. In the upstairs bedrooms, there are 2 wardrobes (one facing each room) between the 2 bedrooms formed by walls attached to the chimney.

I'd like to move one wardrobe wall to block up(with a stud wall) one of the wardrobes in one bedroom and create a large alcove in place of the 2 wardrobes in the other bedroom.

In the attached drawing, I want to remove the red walls and build a stud wall on the green line where wardrobe door currently is.

The walls are made of skinny 55mm wide cinder block built directly on the floor boards.
The stub front wall of the wardrobe I wish to remove is toothed(i.e. alternate bricks) into the chimney when the house was built.
Will this wall be offering any support to the chimney, or can I just remove it by cutting the cider bricks off at the chimney edge?

None of the walls I which to remove appear to be touching the loft joists, so I don't think the walls are offering any support to the loft.

Any advice on what I should look out for before getting started gratefully received!

Or should I really be getting advice from an engineer before I take the wall down?
It is a fully repaired Wates house if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Attachments

• InternalWall1.jpg
    InternalWall1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
Hi mate did you have any luck with this? I am looking at doing the same we are currently in the process of having our house repaired and want to make the same changes to even out the room sizes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back