Do I need to get this checked with an engineer....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a fairy standard construction 1980's semi detached house. Block built with some some internal walls being lightweight blocks, others being stud-work.

On the gable end side of the property (ie not the bit attached to the neighbors) we have a front bedroom and a back bedroom. They are divided by a wall and the chimney breast (for the fireplace downstairs). The wall dividing them is block-work between where it butts up to the external wall and the chimney breast and stud-work between the chimney breast and the bedroom's internal door on to the landing.

I would like to knock through the solid part of the dividing wall to be able to take some space from one room for a walk in wardrobe. I can see from the loft that this wall isn't taking any weight from the ceiling.

My concern is that the block wall may in some way be bracing the (large) gable wall against the chimney breast and/or anchoring the chimney to the building. I've heard of other people needing to brace walls against the wind when removing internal walls and I wondered if this block wall could be doing the same. After all, if it wasn't needed then why build one part of the wall in blocks and another in stud-work.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Depends on so many variables (length of gable wall), height and thickness of chimney breast, etc. Probably worth checking by a structural engineer to be sure but you could take a look at Part A of the Building Regulations, which give some general rules to buttressing requirements, that may help determine the answer. As you say, why build it in blockwork when it could have been built in stud if it is not doing anything.

Modern houses dont have internal wall bracing as part of the design. Neither do most older houses.

Woody is correct - as long as there is nine metres or less between front and back walls no further buttressing is required for low rise buildings of standard construction. Some councils do insist on buttressing or steel frames when spine walls are removed at ground floor level, but this doesn't apply in your case.
In any case, I assume the chimney breast itself will remain which will act as a buttress.

Sponsored Links
Woody is correct - as long as there is nine metres or less between front and back walls no further buttressing is required for low rise buildings of standard construction. Some councils do insist on buttressing or steel frames when spine walls are removed at ground floor level, but this doesn't apply in your case.
In any case, I assume the chimney breast itself will remain which will act as a buttress.

Thanks Ronnny,

I'll measure the wall. I suspect it is just shy of 9m.

The chimney itself will remain but if i knock thorough at FF then it will only act as a buttress as the GF height.

Woah....... No steel.

The Chimney itself will be untouched. It's only the internal dividing wall between the chimney and the gable wall that I'm looking at.

I should try and post a picture for this.

The chimney itself will remain but if i knock thorough at FF then it will only act as a buttress as the GF height.
Sorry, I thought you meant here that the chimney breast would only remain at ground floor level. My mistake...

If it's remaining then it will act as a buttress and add some stiffness to the wall.

No Worries Ronny,

Thanks for taking time to try to help me.

Hopefully attached hasty drawing will clear things up.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMAG0950.jpg
    IMAG0950.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 158
Oh I see...I pictured the chimney on the flank wall...d'oh.

You just need to ensure that the joist ends are supported when the wall is removed then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back