RSJs and structural Engineers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the back of my house I have a room then a door into an extension. I would like to knock down the dividing wall and chimney breast, so that the dining room and extension are one room. I would expect to need two RSJs , one for the wall and one for the chimney breast and maybe some piers to rest the steels on. My question is would I need a structural engineer ,or even planning permission to do this work. Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is highly unlikely you will need planing permission for this work unless your property is listed or you are in a conservation area and the external stack is noticeable to neigbouring nimbys.

It is however highly probable that LABC will want to see some calcs from an SE to justify steel size and method of support, but again this will depend on the span of wall you want to take down and whether the chimney is being removed completely or not.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back