Would masonry cavity wall need anchoring on RSJs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to modify the layout of the ground floor while extending a detached house. All four side walls of the ground floor will be removed, and the external walls of the first floor will be supported by RSJs (Rolled Steel Joists). Since all four first-floor walls are supported by RSJs, should these walls be anchored to these beams for additional stability?

I am concerned about stability, as I typically observe extensions with only one or two first-floor walls resting on RSJs. Your insights or experiences on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I am planning to modify the layout of the ground floor while extending a detached house. All four side walls of the ground floor will be removed, and the external walls of the first floor will be supported by RSJs (Rolled Steel Joists). Since all four first-floor walls are supported by RSJs, should these walls be anchored to these beams for additional stability?

I am concerned about stability, as I typically observe extensions with only one or two first-floor walls resting on RSJs. Your insights or experiences on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
I'm sure your structural engineer will advise.

Walls are just built upon the beams rather than glued to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back