Stud wall construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post - probably obvious to you guys, but I'm looked for a few hours and can't find an answer.

I'm planning to replace the all the ceilings, floors and stud walls in my house becasue I'm changing the layout. (there are no internal structural walls - all the joists are supported by RSJs fixed to the external walls)

The previous owner put chipboard flooring and plasterboard ceiling to the entire upstairs BEFORE they fitting the stud walls. As a result some of the walls are only supported by the chipboard floor with no joists under any part of the wall. (specifically 3 walls (3.5m long by 2.3m high) are only supported by chipboard that's in pretty bad condidtion)

When i replace them, my intention is to fit the stud wall frame before the ceiling/floor, putting short cross joists in where needed to support the walls. And then to fit chipboard floor / plasterboard ceiling to each room separatly.

Am I right to do this? or is there a good reason to do it the way the last owner did?

Thanks in advance. (and apologies if I got any of the terminolgy wrong)

Excellant site by the way - think I'm going to save £5,000-£7,000 from my refurnishment cost from reading all the posts this weekend.

Sponsored Links
What you propose is the smart option, structure first before flooring or ceiling. Tip: don't use chipboard flooring second time round. It does the job (til it gets wet) but is cheap and nasty.

Thanks for the quick reply.

What should I use instead of chipboard? (Top layer will be thick wood laminate)

T&g osb, t&g ply floor panels or normal floorboards will all be far superior to chipboard.

Sponsored Links
While I don't disagree with Duluks about cheap chipboards and water, the idea is not to get the floor wet, surely. Yes, chipboard in a bathroom or kitchen is not a good idea but, depending on the condition of the existing boards there is no reason why they cannot be re-laid in a bedroom or a lounge, etc.

chipboard is total and utter garbage.

i would feel ashamed even burning the stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back