1st floor stud wall supported by the floor itself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, quick one which I'm struggling to get an answer to, but it could always be my useless searching skills.

Is it okay to have a small section of stud wall (approx 2.0m) supported purely by the chipboard floor it rests on (as it falls between the joists), or should he chipboard be ripped up and noggins be fitted between the joists to support the wall? The wall itself will be screwed together to a larger stud frame (approx 3.0m) which goes at 90 degrees across the joists.

I've already added noggins to the to support the header plate as access was easy via the loft, but there's no real easy way of getting the tongue and groove chipboard up as it goes all over he place including under a current stud wall.

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
Chipboard I believe is 20mm and the joists are spaced at approx 34-35mm centres by the looks of it. The sole plate would actually strictly rest ever so slightly on the joist (only by 5mm or so)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back