Garage storage space/floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All...first post and hoping to gain some advice or confirmation that my plan is ok...and not some foolhardy mission!

I have a large (and high) garage with two "toy" cars and workshop. Unfortunately(!) recent purchases of lathe, large pillar drill and all the other accumulated bits 'n' bobs mean I'm running out of floor space.

The plan is to build a storage floor across the width of the garage (4.6m) and for approx. half it's length (3.2m of the 6+m).

This will consist of 47x147mm joists every 400mm, held by joist hangers into the block walls. The ends of each joist will be additionally supported by a bit of 2x2 to the floor (approx. 2.1m), also screwed to the wall as a prop (this will double as some shelving supports etc).

Then I'll run a small RSJ (100x100mm) along the middle of the 4.6m span, underneath the joists. The RSJ will be suspended from the main RSJs by four 12-16mm rods through 10mm thick plates . The original RSJs are roughly 150x75 (iirc?) and sit on top of the block walls.

Then the whole lot will be covered with flooring grade moisture resistant chipboard (the green stuff).

I'm fairly confident the floor will take some good weight (mainly car parts, bicycles...perhaps the odd engine!) and it needs to be VERY strong as this will be over the cars!

Criticism and ideas welcome...thanks :)

Steve

Sponsored Links
No criticism, but i'd have the calcs done by a structural engineer, If a heavy load will need to be carried.
Is it work that needs to be notified to Building Controls?
also with lathes and pillar drills, you may need to look at the electrical load that is needed to operate this correctly and safely.

Thanks for your response :)

No criticism, but i'd have the calcs done by a structural engineer, If a heavy load will need to be carried.

Yes...a good idea.

There won't be anything too heavy as individual lumps, I doubt engines will make it up there! But the whole lot might get heavy over time...as storage areas tend to become overloaded :oops:

The joist hangers are rated to SHORT TERM UPLIFT = 2kN, LONG TERM DOWNLOAD = 5.19kN. I've looked at trying to convert that to good old "tons" and it appears to be half a metric ton per bracket, but not sure what that means across the whole floor area :confused:

Is it work that needs to be notified to Building Controls?

I've no idea...haven't thought about this angle, any reason why it would be necessary?

also with lathes and pillar drills, you may need to look at the electrical load that is needed to operate this correctly and safely.

The electrickery is fine, running enough power (30a iirc) through it's own fusebox and armoured cable :)

The two recent purchases have been converted from three phase to run from an inverter, they're only 0.5-0.75hp motors :)

Does anyone know a good programme or calculation for the weight aspect?

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back