How to attach new joists to walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a garage too small for a car that I want to partially convert to a room and have a couple of questions. The garage is attached to the house and has a cavity wall on the two external walls and a bedroom above, so is effectively another room with a garage door.

1) How should a joist be attached to the wall? The floor will need to be raised, as the rest of the attached house is 12" or more higher than the garage floor. I plan to buy big joists to place at the right height, but how should these be attached? Should I cut out a slot in the walls to fit the joists in, and rest the middle on stacks of bricks with a damp proof layer, or can I simply screw joist hangers to the walls and put the joist into them?

2) Is there anything special required for the false wall between the new room and the old garage opening? I plan to fit a new garage door to replace an up and over, with a hinged three way door and use the space for bicycle storage. I thought build a wall with DPC out of brick to the floor height and then partition wall above with decent insulation and plasterboard either side.

thanks for any advice

mike

Sponsored Links
First of all if you have not done it yet , have a read of the information in the link

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/garageconversion/

1) It is possible you could just build sleeper walls for the joists to sit on. They do not have to be attached to the walls. The void would need ventilation

2) Yes the wall needs to comply with the building regulations and as the front space could still be used as a garage (for a motorcycle), it would have to have the necessary fire ratings.

So best to get a drawing done up by some-one who knows and get it approved by building control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back