joist hangers or timber fixing plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at putting a wooden floor in my garage. the garage is attached to the side of the house.
As for fitting flooring joists, what would the experts out there recommend I do. Do I retro fit joist hangers into the brick work or instal a timber wall plate for the joists to sit on.
The reason for fitting the floor is that I have a tandem garage with a 14" difference in height between front and back and converting into gym/ utility room. Headroom is not an issue (nearly 10 feet).

Sponsored Links
It will be easier to move a joist with a wall plate, but if I thought it was a damp wall I would go for brickwork hangers.

Yes, it's easier to level the floor if you start with a timber wall plate fixed to the wall - but - 1. you need to put in sufficient fixings and 2. (as catlad said, you need to ensure that the brickwork to which it is fixed is not permanently damp ( ie keep above the dpc).
Also, have you got sufficient space for adequate ventilation to reduce risk of dry rot?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your prompt replies.
the wall plate would be on a damp wall. could this be remedied with the use of a product such as RWI flexiseal?

On further reading, i now know that I need a min 150 mm between ground and joist. I wont be able to achieve this at the rear of the garage, unless I dig up the concrete floor. Maybe I will have to go down the insulated concrete base instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back